Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware Blaster

by SEGMAT / December 12, 2007 6:43 AM PST

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for people's opinions on Spyware Blaster. If I'm running IE7, should I be running that? I don't like Spybot S&D and so I don't use that immunize function, but I've heard that immunizers are a good way of protecting your machine. What do you think?

Matt Segstro

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware Blaster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware Blaster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I would use that along with some
by roddy32 / December 12, 2007 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware Blaster

of the recommended scanners also which is in the stickie at the top of the forum. There are a number of good free ones there.

Collapse -
HI Matt...
by Larry38 / December 12, 2007 7:23 AM PST

I have had SpywareBlaster on my PC for the past four years, and I use IE7.

I would highly recommend installing it.

SpywareBlaster just sits there it don't run.

You can read about it here and download. Be sure to update and then enable all protection.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

HTH
Larry

Collapse -
About Spybot S & D...
by Larry38 / December 12, 2007 7:43 AM PST

I use it also, it found a nasty just the other day, that none of the other scanners found. Just my opinion.

Larry

Collapse -
Yes and in addition......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 12, 2007 8:04 AM PST

also download SpywareGuard from Javacool:

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

Download here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by SEGMAT / December 12, 2007 8:18 AM PST

But Marianna, isn't SpywareGuard not being updated anymore?

Matt

Collapse -
SpywareGuard - the reason WHY no frequent updates.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 12, 2007 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks everyone
The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. (Basically this means it doesn't need a specific signature for every spyware it catches, simply an overall pattern or approach-used, which it can identify and then trigger off of.) So, SpywareGuard works for many of the newer versions of the same spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them.

An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.
Collapse -
(NT) Thank you all, I will likely run both of them.
by SEGMAT / December 12, 2007 8:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Can I run all this?
by SEGMAT / December 12, 2007 9:30 AM PST

I just realized, I have some things that might conflict with eachother if I run Spyware Blaster and Guard. Can I run those two, along with Scotty the Watchguard (WinPatrol), and Avast AV? I noticed that when I installed Spyware Guard and I changed my home page in IE7. Both Scotty and Spyware Guard complained about it.

Matt

Collapse -
Should be no conflicts but
by roddy32 / December 12, 2007 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Can I run all this?

other that avast which is for viruses, you have no spyware or trojan scanners listed which you need also besides blockers. AVG Anti-Spyware and SUPERAntiSpyware are both good and both have free versions.

Collapse -
Yes, NO problem and allow Scotty and SpywareGuard...
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 12, 2007 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Can I run all this?

they did their job to alert you Happy

Collapse -
Spybot should stay
by darkdestiny7 / December 12, 2007 7:01 PM PST

It does have an Immunize function that can work with SpywareBlaster.

Collapse -
Spyware Guard setups
by michhala / December 14, 2007 8:01 AM PST

Marianna -- Do you recommend the full setup or the minimal setup for new users who have XP?

"New users should use the Full Setup (1.96 MB download). Users upgrading from an older version of SpywareGuard or users with Windows XP can use the minimal setup."

Collapse -
IF you did NOT have SpywareGuard before .....
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 14, 2007 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware Guard setups

yes, then the FULL setup - otherwise only the "minimal".

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, Marianna......
by michhala / December 14, 2007 1:08 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Miki, You Are Very Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 14, 2007 2:02 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?