Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Spyware, Adware or Virus?

by kewlchick02 / March 3, 2006 7:03 AM PST

As I was searching the web, i got a popup saying that a securtiy breach was reached on my computer and it could be vulnerable to the blackworm virus. it prompted me to downdload a software that would clear it from my computer. I wasnt too sure about it so i just exited it out, but it just froze the computer. I accidentaly ended up downloading the software which is Win AntiVirus Pro 2006. I already uninstalled it, but i dont know if it will cause any damage to my computer. when i was finally able to run a scan on my computer, it detected Winfixer on my computer. It deleted it, but I wasn't to confident on it so i used the free Mcfee scan that is on here and it keeps detecting it.
I have a Windows XP with Norton Antivirus 2005. I dont know what other info. im supposed to give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware, Adware or Virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware, Adware or Virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Win anti virus
by tomron / March 3, 2006 7:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Chick, Please Try This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 9:45 AM PST

Download the McAfee Stinger stand-alone virus removal tool from the link below. Direct the download to your desktop and once it's there, restart your computer into Safe Mode using the instructions in the link below. Once in Safe Mode, then double click on the "Stinger" tool and run it. It should clean out Blackworm/Nyxem/Mywife if it's actually on the computer.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Next, attempt to uninstall WinFixer from the Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs section if it's there. If not, then use the instructions in the links below:

Removal Tool - Adware-Virtumundo/WinFixer Popups
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57049

OR, if that doesn't get it done...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.vundo.removal.tool.htm

After that, just in case the site added more spyware to your computer, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?