Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

spyware

by Hour_House / November 26, 2004 6:41 AM PST

i definetly know i have spyware as i get loads of popups in internet explorer.i think it is slowing down my user accounts aswell.ive done all the usual such as adaware and spybot s&d.hijack this and ive deleted all temporary internet files.i also have norton internet security 2005.please help.

ps: can i delete my files in the folder: c:documents and settings/andrew/local settings/temp

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: spyware
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: spyware

Short answer to the only question you asked is Yes, you can delete the contents of the temp folder.

But you have to ask yourself, if you have AdAware, and Spybot Search & Destroy, and NIS 2005, and you update them regularly and run scans regularly with them, how come you still get spyware and pop-ups?

Are you doing these things? Are you updating Norton's Antivirus and running it to scan your PC regularly? Are you doing the same with Adaware, and Spybot? Is Norton's Firewall on all the time?

What are you doing that infects your computer with spyware and pop-ups?

Is your Windows updated regularly? Have you installed Windows Update SP2?

Do you download files using a P2P file sharing program? Do you share infected disks from other people? Do you download programs from the internet? If the answer to any or all of these is yes, do you scan the disks or programs or files for viruses "before" you let them loose on your computer?

To help clear your computer now, goto
http://housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online scan, then goto
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm and do another online scan.

Then download and install Spywareblaster from
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html, install it, update it, then run it.

Mark

Collapse -
by Hour_House / November 27, 2004 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: spyware

sorry forgot to tell you it was from an active x control i downloaded.thanks

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 7:28 AM PST

In addition to Mark's excellent advise. I am curious as to your comment of "ive done all the usual such as adaware and spybot s&d.hijack this and ive deleted". What exactly did you DO with HijackThis? Did you bring it to one of the HijackThis Forums or did you just start fixing things? HijackThis is a great tool but ONLY if it is used correctly by the people that are completely familiar with it.

Collapse -
by Hour_House / November 27, 2004 4:19 AM PST

yeah i posted it on a forum,cant quite remeber the name but they didnt find anythink wrong with it..

thanks

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 5:05 AM PST

If a HijackThis expert forum said nothing was wrong, it's got to be the particular websites that you are visiting that is causing them. Any BAD active-X control (like you told Mark) would have shown up in a HijackThis log. I don't know what to tell you. You have no idea what the active-X control was that you downloaded?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 5:08 AM PST

gnuspp,

Have you tried the online scans yet?

Worth a try.

Also, consider what yewanchors says, ditch IE soon and goto another browser for all but Windows updates.

Mark

Collapse -
by Hour_House / November 27, 2004 6:04 AM PST

yeah it was a real big scam.in order to view the cheat on the cheat website : http://www.cheatgenius.co.uk/cheats/4515/PC-cheats/The-Great-Escape-Cheats.html

they forced you to downloaded the active x control which contained hundreds of popups. i dont know what the active x control was called but as soon as you go to that page above there is a big instruction telling you how to download th active x controls.the trouble was i was so used to downloading the active x controls on other sites that i installed it without thinking.if you need anymore info just post back. thanks

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 6:17 AM PST

If you have XP SP2 you can go to tools/manage add-ons. Find the active-X control that you downloaded, highlight it and click the disable button. I still find it hard to believe that a HijackThis Forum wouldn't have seen that in a log unless the forum didn't specialize in those logs, there are only a few that do. If doing what I just told you doesn't work, post in the Virus and Securities Forum and see if Donna or Marianna can help you. They are very good at this stuff. The link for that is here. Give them all the info you can there.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6132-0.html?forumID=32&start=0&tag=null

Collapse -
by Yew / November 26, 2004 7:29 AM PST

In addition to what was said, also do something about curing the disease, not just treating the symptoms. Spyware will probably always be a problem for IE, so download a copy of Mozilla Firefox and use that instead. The only thing you should ever use IE for after downloading Firefox, is a twice monthly visit to the Windows Update site to look for any new security patches you might need, and that's absolutely it. Use Firefox for EVERYTHING else, and if some site doesn't work with Firefox, find another that does.

Collapse -
by swisse / November 27, 2004 6:35 AM PST

Download BHODemon, open it, look for this ocx/dll, and uncheck it to disable it. Only be sure to disable the bad ones, and leave enabled the benign. Never use IE anymore, instead Mozilla.

Swisse

Collapse -
by Hour_House / November 28, 2004 4:29 AM PST

yeah i will start using mozilla instead now but this still dosent solve my current problem but thanks for the advice

Collapse -
by Hour_House / December 1, 2004 3:41 AM PST

ive got rid of most of the spyware on my computer although i had to delete it manauly through the registry.thanks for all the help

Collapse -
by Hour_House / December 7, 2004 4:48 AM PST

any more advice?. please please please help!.thanks

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 7, 2004 5:27 AM PST

Your last post on this thread was on the 1st of December, almost a week ago and this is what you said.

" ive got rid of most of the spyware on my computer although i had to delete it manauly through the registry.thanks for all the help"

Now, a week later, you are back with no more information than you supplied originally. I suggest to you on the 27th which are almost 2 weeks ago to ask your question in the Virus and Securities Forum which I provided a link for. You neither answered that post OR followed my advice. In order for us to help you, you must help us to help you. This is the link again.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6132-0.html?forumID=32&start=0&tag=null

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Forgive my typos in the above post
by roddy32 / December 7, 2004 5:29 AM PST
Collapse -
by Hour_House / December 9, 2004 6:06 PM PST

sorry i posted my last thread on the wrong post because i had got rid of the spyware on my computer and had put a new post in the forum which i was meant to reply to. sorry about the mix up.thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK, Thanks for clearing that up.
by roddy32 / December 10, 2004 12:15 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!