Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SpyWare

by dorothy_cochran / October 28, 2004 8:44 PM PDT

I have spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot, on my comuter. Do I need all of this and what is the best program to go with to keep spyware out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpyWare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpyWare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SpyWare
by Yew / October 28, 2004 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: SpyWare

In order: Yes and Mozilla Firefox

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 28, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

I am unfamiliar with "spyware Doctor" but I would do some checking to make sure it is legit. There is one called "SpyDoctor" which is NOT good so make sure as to which one you actually have. There are a lot of rip offs out there. Ad-Adware SE and Spybot S&D are both very good and BOTH should be used. This link here will give you some ideas as to what NOT to use. These applications on this list have an explanation as to why NOT to use them on the right hand side. I just looked again and he has a note on the right hand side of "SpyDoctor" (which is a bad one) telling you not to confuse it with "Spyware Doctor" so I stress again to make sure as to which one you actually have. This is the link, please read the whole page. Hope this helps.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Collapse -
Good links
by czerny32 / December 22, 2004 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: SpyWare

Thanks for the link to the Spywarewarrior. Sure helping me sort things out. Do you know of a good one about scrubbing/overwriting programs? I bot the Ghostsurf 2005 Platinum, installed it with their AOL software. It runs the Spycatcher, wipes my internet traces, the Vault works OK. But it hangs up wiping a specified file, and doesn't appear to do anything with regard to the internet. With 2 replies to my inquiries, so far all I get is Indian guys telling me to defrag, run Scandisk, reinstall, then download again and reinstall. You have any ideas? Czerny32

Collapse -
You're welcome but
by roddy32 / December 23, 2004 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Good links

I don't know anything about that program. If it's not on Eric Howe's list of trusted products, I don't use it. That does NOT mean it is necessarly bad though. He HAS tested it on this other link but has not put it on his trusted products list yet , unless I missed it, I did not see a seperate comment about it. I prefer not to use it. That's just my opinion.

More reading for you here
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

Collapse -
To banish SpyWare, you need more than one tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 12:01 AM PDT

Even with a current antivirus, I use HOUSECALL (find words I use in capitals with google.com) to get a second opinion. For Spyware, the list is longer because not one tool is finding them all. Try a short 5 item list like Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder (last version), Stinger and Housecall.

We all wish there was a better solution but remember that IE is being exploited so moving to another browser like Firefox can stem the tide for now.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mr. Chan / October 29, 2004 8:51 PM PDT

Let see how many " Anti-Spyware " software I have before I can tell you which is the best.
I have the disguesting 2005 McAfee " Anti-Spyware " which is useless but there is C$ 30.00 rebate on it. I have the " SpywareHound " for free if you go to their web-site and download it. It is www. spyHound.com I have 'Bazooka " from www.kephyr.com and it is free. I have SpyCatcher from the GhostSurf 2005 Platinum Suite by Tenebril. I have the " Spyware Doctor " by PC Tools.com I have Ad-Aware SE Professional by Lavasoft of Sweden and I have Spyware Begone 6.75 Version by MicroSmarts and finally I have " Spy Sweeper " by Webroot. I believe I have eight " Anti-Spyware ' software on my PC because I hate spies. Well, you are in good hand since you have the " Spyware Doctor " and Ad-Aware SE Professional as these two are most trustworthy " Anti-Spyware " to my belief. Since it is free, you can download the ' Bazooka " and " SpywareHound " if you wish. But I would like to suggest that Spyware Begone from MicroSmarts is a good one too as it is always the first "Anti-Spyware " to detect a spy has got into your PC while others are still sleeping. So simply go to www.spywarebegone.com and pay US$ 40.00 to have it guard your PC. I would not recommend the " Spy Sweeper " by Webroot because it cannot detect any spy. However, if you go to www.webroot.com; you will see there is a " Spy audit " to test how many spies have hidden in your PC. Try it out since it is absolutely free. Also, Webroot will give you 30 days trialware on the useless " Spy Sweeper " . have it downloaded to your PC. after all, it is free too.
Once again, you are in good hands since you have " Spyware Doctor " and " Ad-Aware SE Professional ". Your PC will be more protected against all spies if you have the " Spyware Begone " from MicroSmarts as I find it very useful and practical. Furthermore, you need the " Window Washer 5.5 " from Webroot to clean up all your tracks so that no one will know the web-sites and URL you had been to. Webroot is good at the " Window Washer 5.5 " as the " Privacy Guardian " from PC Tools.com is too strong. MicroSmarts also has the " No Trace " which is good in my humble opinion.
Here what you do, download both " window washer " and " Spy Sweeper " from the web-site of Webroot. Use the " Spyware Doctor " and ' Ad-Aware SE Professional " to delete all the spies. Use the Webroot " window washer " to wash your cache and everything of your PC. Then run the " Spy audit" from the Webroot web-site. If the ' Spy audit ' is LOW. Then you can rest assured your PC is spyware free.

Collapse -
Tenebril GhostSurf2005
by czerny32 / December 22, 2004 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: Re: SpyWare

I bot the Ghostsurf 2005 Platinum, installed it with their AOL software. It runs the Spycatcher, wipes my internet traces, the Vault works OK. But it hangs up wiping a specified file, and doesn't appear to do anything with regard to the internet. With 2 replies to my inquiries, so far all I get is Indian guys telling me to defrag, run Scandisk, reinstall, then download again and reinstall. You have any ideas? Czerny32

Collapse -
I'd toss it and move on. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2004 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Tenebril GhostSurf2005
Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 9:14 PM PDT

I disagree with some of that. Be careful Dorothy, 2 of the above mentioned ones are on the bad spyware tools list, Spyware Begone and Spyware Hound are No No's as explained on this list reputable list. These are ones to stay away from. The explanations are in this list. Eric Howes, the publisher of the list is highly regarded in this field.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Collapse -
Hmm
by bscr / December 23, 2004 4:44 AM PST

I would keep AD-Aware and spybot Search and Destroy.

My favourite is PestPatrol, one of the best out there.

S

Collapse -
RE:spyware
by nikeboy1521 / December 23, 2004 5:36 AM PST

I think you should keep ad aware SE personal and uninstall all others, ive tried all of those adware removers and ad aware was the only good one, the others cause my system to crash and reboot constantly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.