Computer Help forum

General discussion

spyware

by dangdang7262 / February 15, 2007 1:43 AM PST

Is Spysweeper worth buying? Or should I just download a free spyware from cnet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spyware programs
by Stan Chambers / February 15, 2007 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: spyware

I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware.
They do a good job. It's your personal choice, but almost everyone that I know uses these free programs with good success.

Collapse -
Wrong approach
by jackson dougless / February 15, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: spyware

Sometimes feel like I'm talking to a wall when I say this, but here goes one more time.

You're looking at this problem in the wrong way. Instead of thinking about programs to get rid of spyware once it's on your system, you should be thinking about how to keep it off your system to begin with.

To that end, the absolute best thing you could possibly do, is stop using Internet Explorer immediately. Replace it with Opera or Firefox, whichever you like better. Over 90% of spyware finds its way onto your system courtesy of Internet Explorer. The how and why of this is unimportant, this is the reality of the situation, and it probably won't change for quite some time.

That one move will virtually wipe out any chance of you getting spyware in the future. It won't do anything about the spyware you have now, but between the free programs out there, you should be able to get rid of it, and then keep it off by not using Internet Explorer any longer.

Some other things you might consider doing to further improve your odds of living a spyware free life, are the following. Use Google for further details if you need them.

1: Keep up on security updates for Windows and other programs -- visiting the Windows/Microsoft Update site is the one valid exception to the no-IE rule, and updates tend to be released every second tuesday of the month
2: Don't use any file sharing programs
3: Don't use any pirated software
4: Make sure you have a firewall -- XP's built in firewall will do the job, as will any of the others, you just need SOMETHING to block automated probes of your system

There are programs for spyware, that function much like virus scanners, attempting to block the installation of spyware, but I'm not a fan of these. They're still far too reactionary, and there's always a gap between the time some spyware is released "into the wild" and someone updates the program to intercept it. My method will block all IE based spyware, past, present, and future. All the software is free too with my method. While it's not fool proof, it's a virtually infinitely better solution than anything else I've seen proposed. At least short of switching to another operating system.

Collapse -
spyware reply
by dangdang7262 / February 15, 2007 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Wrong approach

Thanks for the info.. All I use is Firefox ..

Collapse -
no!
by flip3d-216117282864364117 / February 16, 2007 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: spyware reply

I'd never buy software, its like why buy winzip when you can get a freeware app that supports zip, rar etc. Also using online services like trend micro, or www.safety.live.com or application software like ad-aware or spybot..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!