Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

spysweeper does it stink?

by WOODS-HICK / June 4, 2006 4:24 PM PDT

I noticed some other spysweeper stories buried in other threads, so I thought I'd start fresh. my isp offers free spysweeper (latest version, no v.# listed). I started the process 4-26-06. that day I did the free online scan. it detected two medium threats. I then went to download full version. I get message there is only one offer per customer and my time to apply had expired. this was all on 4/26. ok I leave the required info at their support center. 8 business days later they tell me to check with my isp. isp tells me spysweeper is third party vendor I have to deal with them. I leave info again. 6 bus. days pass I get e-mail with a link to download. download fine, but it is v 2.6. I check for version and definition updates. def are ok, v2.6 should be upgraded to v3.5. they say my time has expired for free upgrade, pay $$.$$, this is ten minutes after I finally installed v2.6. I won't buy but I scan with v2.6. it finds about 30 problems. I contact support. in 12 bus. days they send a link to download v3.5. download fine but it is v2.6 again. will not allow upgrade to v3.5. I contact support. they send super secret 800#, I talk to a live person or a convincing robot. he is sympathetic. he gives me a link for the latest v4.5. download fine. it is the latest possible version 4.5. I scan it finds absolutely nothing. I never removed anything recommended in the three previous scans. it is now 6-4-06. 39 days since I began. spybot, adaware, ewido never found anything after any of spysweeper scans. I have not had to pay for anything(the one good thing).
I removed this product each time I used it, using norton 'safe try'. it is now in my limbo folder, if there is anyone still reading my short story; should I send this thing to heaven or hell. anybody have similar experiences?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spysweeper does it stink?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spysweeper does it stink?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Hell" seems appropriate enough... ;) I have no experi
by glenn30 / June 4, 2006 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Would not think twice about dumping it
by EZRIDER714 / June 5, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

There is enough hassle free good software available. Even if it was the best thing ever made, I would not put up with all that BS you described.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That makes sense
by tomron / June 5, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks for the push
by WOODS-HICK / June 7, 2006 7:22 PM PDT

spysweep going to hell

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?