Computer Help forum

General discussion

Spylock?

by cubs123 / May 2, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

Somehow a program called Spylock has made its way to my computer, I've tried to uninstall it and have run AVG anti-spyware and Network Associates anti-virus, but this program will not go away. It also displays a false message of "harmfull spyware" whcih closes out of many of my programs in use. How can I get rid of this program?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spylock?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spylock?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hope this helps
by retired / May 2, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Spylock?
Collapse -
didn't help
by cubs123 / May 2, 2007 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope this helps

Thanks but all this gave me was a "buy-this-it'll-go-away" program, and a list of files that I can't find. They real problem I'm facing isn't the program, its it displaying false warning that close out of programs.

Collapse -
Spylock
by phil66 / May 2, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: didn't help
Collapse -
Solved
by cubs123 / May 2, 2007 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Spylock

Thank you, did what you said and problem solved. I'll keep this program to remove future problems.

Collapse -
spylock
by midds134 / May 25, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Spylock

Having tried everything to rid my pc of spylock , i downloaded Rogue remover and updated it, as soon as i ran a scan on pc it picked up spylock and removed it ...cheers !

Collapse -
SPYLOCK?
by dllfo / May 25, 2007 5:52 AM PDT

I have a friend with a perverse sense of humor. He will no longer be allowed to email me.

His stupid idea of a joke was to send me an email, saying this was a motorcycle hill climb I would enjoy. When I opened it, a message popped up saying I needed an update ActiveX or something like that, so I clicked on it. Spylocked flowed into my computer at warp 9. Warnings sprang up, but this is a new laptop and I misunderstood the saleman, I thought it had some software from microsoft to protect it.

Regardless, I quickly downloaded spybot, spy sweeper (I subscribe to it) ad-aware, AVG free and AVG rootkit, but none of them could remove it. Spybot fought a heck of a battle with it, but Spylock seemed to pop up as fast as spybot deleted it. I would compare it to the SWAT team breaking down the front door while the bad guys were going over the back fence into a new address. I thought Spybot had won until this morning when some bogus recommendations popped us. Spylock even had Internet Explorer's logo on one popup. It is scary. You don't know who to believe, but after seeing RogueRemover nail it first try,
I will wait a couple of days to see if it really worked, then I will buy 4 copies of RogueRemover Pro.

Thank you so much for a great suggestion.

Collapse -
spylock
by atania / June 2, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: SPYLOCK?
Collapse -
May not be their fault
by jackson dougless / June 2, 2007 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: SPYLOCK?

A little late in getting to this... But a lot of malware is quite capable of hijacking easily hijacked programs like Outlook/Outlook Express and using them to send email unbeknownst to the user of the system.

Long long ago, probably 10 years at least, back when mass mailing email worms were still a new thing, a friend of mine seemingly sent me a message with an attachment that had a viral payload. I mentioned this to them, and they had no idea what I was talking about in regards to an attachment on the message.

Might want to give them the benefit of the doubt first is the moral of the story here. They may have had no idea the message was sent in their name. Their only real crime is being ignorant to computer security concerns.

Collapse -
just my luck =/
by bebop1225 / June 2, 2007 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: May not be their fault

ok after finding this post i thought i was saved i downloaded rogue remover and used it it came up with some results right but right after its was finished and it closed i still had the spylock icon in my system tray giving me the messages.Any ideas?

Collapse -
Try killing the messenger
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 2, 2007 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: just my luck =/

If this is a pop-up from your system tray it may be a Windows Messaging message. Windows Messaging service is prone to being hijacked for spam.

Try the ElderGeek's options to "Kill the Messenger";
http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger_removal.htm

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
dont think so
by bebop1225 / June 2, 2007 10:13 PM PDT

nope deleted it and did not change anything

Collapse -
Well, that's got me stumped
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: dont think so

If this were me I would start hunting for the process that's running when the pop-up appears.

I would use the Task Manager, Processes tab to see what extra processes are running when the pop-up appears, and in any case I would hunt down each process in the list to see if it's genuine or malware.

I would check the System Configuration Utility for any unusual start-up programs in the Start-up tab, and I would also search down the list of Services running in the Services console.

If that didn't find the beast, I would go to a couple of online anti-virus scans, eg Housecall and PCPitstop and run the scans, then I would try out a number of different and genuine anti-spyware utilities.

It would take me time, but I would find this thing eventually.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Further suggestions for Spylocked removal..
by Carol~ Moderator / June 3, 2007 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: just my luck =/

When you downloaded Rogue Remover, did you make sure you checked for updates, before running it? Different variants are added to RR, on a fairly constant basis.

Malwarebytes' RogueRemover Free - http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php
Malwarebytes' RogueRemover PRO - http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremoverpro.php (30 day trial)

2) Install it and start it up.
3) Press Check for Updates
4) It will tell you that there is a newer version of the database. Press Download
5) Go back to the main screen and press Scan
6) If a SpyLocked infection is found, remove all objects found.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1295

If you've had no success with Rogue Remover, you might try reading what's suggested, when you scroll down to "Step by Step Procedure for Removing Spylocked". If you haven't tried using the SmitFraudFix, instructions for using it are under "Removal Procedure". It also explains how to run it in Safe Mode, if you've never accessed it before. Detailed instructions are provided at the above referenced link. (If you need furthr help, you can also take a look here. Both should give you all the information you need to know about Spylocked.) It certainly can't hurt, and at very best, it may help.

Best of luck to you..
Carol

Collapse -
Did someone try this?
by IHateMalware / July 1, 2007 1:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Mike.. Just curious..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 1, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Did someone try this?

Who was it highly rated by? I don't see a CNET review, and only 2 user reviews, unless I'm missing something. Confused I'm familiar with a few of the Spy Locked removal tools, but was curious to know about this one.

Thanks in advance..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?