Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Spying pigeon

by Bill Osler / May 28, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

I thought folks gave up using pigeons as espionage tools back around WW I. I guess somebody thinks it's still going on. If the pigeon is under arrest, is it entitled to an attorney?

Pigeon held in India on suspicion of spying for Pakistan - NYPOST.com
Indian police are holding a pigeon under armed guard after it was caught on an alleged spy mission for neighboring Pakistan, media reported Friday.

The white-colored bird was found by a local resident in India's Punjab state, which borders Pakistan, and taken to a police station 25 miles from the city of Amritsar.

The pigeon had a ring around its foot and a Pakistani phone number and address stamped on its body in red ink.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spying pigeon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spying pigeon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) It's cheaper than a drone.
by JP Bill / May 28, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Spying pigeon
Collapse -
(NT) But delivers a non-lethal payload
by Steven Haninger / May 28, 2010 10:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sounds like the Pakistani version of our CIA made a
by Steven Haninger / May 28, 2010 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Spying pigeon

strategic error. Since the article mentions that local pigeons look different, the Pakistanis should have considered recruiting birds from India and hope they wouldn't turn into double agents.

Collapse -
I have to wonder ...
by Bill Osler / May 28, 2010 10:09 AM PDT

Unless the bird turns states evidence (making it a "stool pigeon") we may never know for certain.

Is it possible that the bird just got lost? I don't know about that area, but here in the US people train pigeons as racers and then bet on the birds. Sometimes they go missing. I assume that the birds have tags so they can be returned to the owner. I would think that an intelligence service would be reluctant to put its address on a bird in enemy territory.

Collapse -
Got a chuckle here as I'd just posted to JP Bill
by Steven Haninger / May 28, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to wonder ...

You mentioned becoming a "stool pigeon". Though not biologically correct, aren't they all known as such. We call them "sky carp" here. They live under bridges and overpasses playing bombardier all day. They don't seem to be very bright so I wouldn't count on their debriefings offering much that's useful.

Collapse -
Double entendre?
by Bill Osler / May 28, 2010 10:58 AM PDT

I thought about that meaning as I made the post, but I was mostly referring to the other meaning of "stool pigeon".

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I have to wonder ...

I like that, 'stool pigeon'!

It's more than likely that it's a racing pigeon. It's big business here in the UK and in other parts of the world, breeders raise pigeons just for racing, but it is always a risk that the pigeons homing abilities fail.

But then, with the Taliban and Al Qaeda active in the area, who knows!

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?