Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

spying

by fullvol / November 5, 2005 2:39 PM PST

Anyone heard of spy recon. If so, how do you open the src files. or find it's folder.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spying
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spying
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spyware.Recon
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 5, 2005 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: spying

File names:
Setup.exe
Srvrec.exe

When Spyware.Recon is installed, it performs the following actions:

Displays an End User License Agreement (EULA).

Creates the user to create an installation folder. The default installation folder is %ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended.

Note: %ProgramFiles% is a variable that refers to the path to the program files folder. By default, this is C:\Program Files.

Creates the following files and folders:

%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\Srvrec.exe
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\Uninstall.exe
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\Riched20.dll
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\KbdHook.dll
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\WinCbt.dll
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\INSTALL.LOG
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\Data
%ProgramFiles%\Spy Recon - Extended\Logs
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Spy Recon - Extended\Spy Recon - Extended.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Spy Recon - Extended\Uninstall Spy Recon - Extended.lnk

Adds the value:

"svrpcn.exe" = "%ProgramFiles%\spy recon - extended\svrrec.exe"

to the registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

so that the Spyware runs when Windows is started.

Creates the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\spcrcn

Removal instructions:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.recon.html

Collapse -
src
by fullvol / November 5, 2005 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: Spyware.Recon

Thanks,
Was able to use the program against user. lol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 6, 2005 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: src
Collapse -
I was wondering
by eosgreg / May 27, 2008 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) You're Welcome :)

I have found this program online and I was wondering if this would be good for a small business? I have been on other forums and they all tell me to stay away from spyware but I need something to prove that they are using the computers for personal use.

Collapse -
This One's Too Visible.. Other Tools Are Available...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 28, 2008 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I was wondering

..that are legitimate ways of logging activity for employees.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what do you mean?
by eosgreg / May 29, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

I don't understand what you are saying. Is spyrecon not a legitimate way to see what they are doing? I need something that is not visible by them and that I can use to make sure that they are doing there job and not spending their day browsing online. I really appreciate any information that anyone has. Even if they are against spyware. I have a very small budget and can't afford to buy the top of the line ones. I just need something simple that shows me what they are doing. I have also found a program called ceze.com it is really interesting.

Collapse -
If You Install It On My Machine, I'll See The Installation..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 29, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: what do you mean?

If you want something that's not visible to them, then this isn't it.. If you read Marianna's post HERE, you'll see that it places files in the Program Files folder, etc. That's the point. In order to use this program, you'll need to install it on each machine.. Once that's done, every user will know that it's installed by simply looking in the Add/Remove Programs section or at the "Program Files" list, and if any are administrators, then can uninstall it locally..

That's not the best way for monitoring software to function.. Think "Shadow" or "SpyAgent" as a few cheap ones.. There are a lot of others if you just do the research.. Still, knowledgeable users may be able to find it anyway, especially if they've got a third party firewall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
yes, thank you
by eosgreg / May 29, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

I was looking and this was the cheapest one that I could find.I found about 6 of them total but the only reason why I liked this ones was because it was cheapest. I highly doubt that most of the employees that we are going to be watching are computer savvy enough to even know that the computer has Add/Remove program on it. Most of them couldn't even figure out how to use an instant messenger. I doubt that half of them know how to do anything other than use the couple of programs that are already installed on it. They aren't the brightest bunch of people. I will look at the ones that you suggested. I really appreciate all of your input. I am new to actual working on computers but I know my way around them.

Collapse -
Spy Recon - Turning it around
by tglass0000 / May 31, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: src

Hi!

How did you use it against the person that was spying on you?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Check out the date of the original poster
by tomron / May 31, 2006 3:12 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.