Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot took me 15 minutes to complete updating.

by Bue28 / August 6, 2008 6:14 PM PDT

Spybot took me roughly 15 minutes to complete updating.
It is unreasonably too slow.
Beside that, you have to update manually.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot took me 15 minutes to complete updating.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot took me 15 minutes to complete updating.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unreasonable?
by Tarq57 / August 6, 2008 8:55 PM PDT

Spybot typically takes 2-3 min to update.
But I choose the download mirror that experience has taught me offers a good speed. (There are plenty to choose from.)
Have to update manually? You poor thing.
You should ask for your donation back.

Collapse -
Well...
by glenn30 / August 6, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

It was a rather large update... more than the usual amount. I always update manually... my choice.

I see nothing unusual here.

Glenn

Collapse -
Unreasonable 2
by Tarq57 / August 7, 2008 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

I've just seen your other posts here, and realize you are new to computer security, and English is your second (or third) language, so I apologise for being sarcastic, above.
Why don't you check out Rising Antivirus.
Comes with a HIPS, Firewall and antispy. Free version available. Chinese.

Collapse -
I just realized you are incorrect...
by glenn30 / August 7, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Unreasonable 2

None of what you say applies to me... so I assume the reply is to the wrong post and should be made to the original poster.

As for me I have been here a long time... even longer than you. My first language is English and I am very security conscious.

Just setting the record straight. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
Quite correct, sorry.
by Tarq57 / August 8, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

Reply was intended for the OP.
This forum is a non-standard layout compared to what I'm used to.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, no problem :)
by glenn30 / August 8, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Quite correct, sorry.
Collapse -
Exactly Which Version Of Spybot...
by tobeach / August 7, 2008 2:42 PM PDT

do you presently have?? (1.4/1.52xx/1.6?). What OTHER protectors do you have installed (possible conflict?).

Is your computer acting more slow than usual loading programs or on Net(indicate conflicts or infection)? Some servers (world wide) have been slow due to a DNS security patch. 2nd version out quicker but not installed all-over yet.

If you have current S&D 1.6, HOW did you un-install previous version?
Un-install has VERY particular steps to be done BEFORE removing via Add/Delete programs, if not done so...may have given you a corrupted new install.

Spybot (via DSL or Cable) should not take more than 3 minutes maximum to download in my experience. Last one was unusually large but I still got in about 21/2 mins. I used Safer-networking #2 (Europe) always as it's often less busy than some others. I always manually update everything as I dislike auto-updates. Post back & I'll see if I can help. Happy

Collapse -
thank you
by Bue28 / August 8, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

Sorry for being absent for a while, and thank you for your continuous replication.
To answer your question:
English is indeed my third language, my first one is Taiwanese, my second one is Chinese.
I now have AntiVir, Online Armor(firewall), and Spybot to protect my PC.
I use local ISP as my sever.
Spybot S&D is the first version I installed.

Collapse -
For modification
by Bue28 / August 8, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Spybot S&D V1.6 is the first version I have installed.

Collapse -
Re: Spybot took me 15 minutes to complete updating..
by Carol~ Moderator / August 8, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

Bue..

Only a guess. I get the impression you might have recently downloaded and installed Spybot, for the first time. And when trying to update for the first time, it took 15 minutes. If I'm incorrect, please disregard my post and I'll take my guesswork elsewhere. Silly

If it is the case, I would wait until next Wednesday, when Spybot updates again, before considering this a problem. You could wind up going through a lot of unnecessary steps, when in fact, it may not be a problem at all. If Spybot isn't giving you problems otherwise, why not wait the few days to confirm it.

Next week you might want to choose a different mirror site to download the updates from. Seems as though, everyone has their favorites, and it takes time to establish which site/area works best for you. It shouldn't take 15 minutes, no matter where you go. Or at least in my opinion, it shouldn't.

Just something to consider. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you should decide to do.

Carol

Collapse -
hi again, Curcat
by Bue28 / August 8, 2008 2:55 PM PDT

Actually it was the second time that I updated the software.

I subscribed to the slowest but cheapest version of connection services from my local ISP, so maybe my slow connection services are to blame for the slow updates, or maybe it was the problem you mentioned and I should try another mirror site to update next time and see if it can fix it.

Thank you for your precious advices.

Collapse -
You're welcome, Bue
by Carol~ Moderator / August 8, 2008 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: hi again, Curcat

I can't say for sure it's the cause of the problem, but given the size of last weeks updates and your slow connection, it could account for it. Let us know how you make out next week. Meanwhile, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Wink

Carol

Collapse -
A slow connection won't help.
by Tarq57 / August 8, 2008 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: hi again, Curcat

Are your Avira updates slow, too?
Plenty of different Spybot mirrors to choose from. I usually find those in the USA a bit faster than from Europe. I'm in NZ; the cable to USA is more direct than to Europe. May be the same for you.
One good thing is that Avira scores very well in spyware detection, so hopefully you won't need to use Spybot in anger.

Collapse -
In Mean Time, You Can Test Your...
by tobeach / August 8, 2008 5:12 PM PDT

internet connection speed, at this site, at the link below 4 curiosity:
http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

You're using a dial-up telephone connection (cheapest)? Best as I can tell, from your post, other protectors should not be causing conflict.
Did you disable your Avira AV during the Spybot install to prevent corrupting install?

Other thoughts: How long since defrag? Have you a cleaner to clean out *temp files often? %free space on HD? Local Government tracking/scanning all internet connections (if you're in Hong Kong,Macao, Malaysia, or?) Let us know since your time surely does not sound normal. Good Hunting, my friend! Grin

Collapse -
to all
by Bue28 / August 8, 2008 10:24 PM PDT

Usually the process of updating AntiVir took me within 1 minutes.

I use 256K/64K ADSL to connect the Internet, seemingly very slow but according to my experinences the speed is acceptable compared to that of one of my classmates, I can open the frontpage of Yahoo.com within 5 seconds thoroughly.

All my protectors(AntiVir, Online Armor and spybot) seem to get along with each other so far, if they did fight, I would uninstall one of them and find another more compatible.

As for defragmentation, I use IObit SmartDefrag to defragment my disk weekly and I have it running on the background constantly, so I dont't think it would be the hard disk that caused the problem.

I don't have a clear picture of what have caused the updates to be sluggish, maybe all I need is time to figure it out, and I don't wanna bother you too much, all of you are very warm hearted, thank you.

Collapse -
Just an aside...
by glenn30 / August 8, 2008 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: to all

To be a third language, your English is very good. Keep returning to these forums since we all learn something from these exchanges of ideas. Grin

All the best.

Glenn

Collapse -
I think I am flattered by your complimentary comment.,Glenn.
by Bue28 / August 9, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Just an aside...

I am flattered, I found out that I have made some grammar mistakes in my previous posts after I reviewed them, and some of them are so serious and I am afraid those mistakes would have made you get me wrong or at least bewidered all the viewers.

You are right, this is one of the best places to exchange ideas and increase our knowledge related to computer and one of the best forums I have ever came across especially for me because I can improve my computer knowledge and English at the same time, in my opinion it is one of the best forums I have ever participated.

You are very nice, Glenn and all the other repliers in the forum.

Collapse -
Just a word...
by glenn30 / August 9, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

You are very gracious. I sincerely meant what I wrote. I already knew your location and marveled at how well you wrote. Never worry about some small error... being my first language I still make lots of them. Hopefully you will not critique me as you will certainly find some glaring errors. That is not what we do here so feel comfortable in the way you write.

Have a great weekend!

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.