Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot - Search & Destroy Tools 1.6.0

Although I have been using Spybot Search & Destroy for many years, I still have some unanswered questions and always have a difficult time deciding which Tools and Settings in Advanced Mode to check and which to leave unchecked. I left the default settings as is in Tools with the exception of putting a tick beside "I know all about the legal stuff". Resident "SD Helper" is enabled. Does the program need to run in Advanced Mode in order for "SD Helper" to work?

(I do not use Tea Timer and did not install Secure Shredder.)

My thanks.

Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot - Search & Destroy Tools 1.6.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot - Search & Destroy Tools 1.6.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Miki....Not Dead Positive ....

In reply to: Spybot - Search & Destroy Tools 1.6.0

just installed last night myself (went in fine after proper prep) but why not leave running in Advanced mode anyway??? I always have & you always have those extra options available. Doesn't take more resources.
I find I keep Tea Timer on but in past versions found some conflict w/ SD Helper(BHO) running with my Sea Monkey (occasional hangs). Since I NEVER use IE anyway.... I do use Immunize.

I like setting & locking start pages for home & search (Blank & Google) and remove all others by resetting each & leaving blank. Also IE tweaks: Lock Hosts file to prevent Hijacking.
I like Active-X list as I can disable things like Flash, PopCap Loader.dll & some odd ones I don't recognize by "toggling them off" for more security from drive bys etc.

I make extensive use of the system start-up list. Here I can disable everything NOT necessary to be running in background at boot. Dropped my boot time by 50%. If you try, you can move far right slider to left some & then when you highlight anything on the list, a description of what it is & how necessary or not will appear on far right. Just check or uncheck each. Completely reversible.

I raised the scan priority in "settings" to 1 below exclusionary (highest) to speed up scans since I don't do anything else w/machine during scanning). Now 15 mins instead of 55 minutes(w/ 1.52).

The thing that shocked me was Immunize takes less than 1 minute to do, but when I had to UN-immunize prior to un-install, that took 22 minutes!!! Wow!

In short let it stay Advanced as you learn some of the neat tricks it can do. I don't use & hide the LSP & Sys internals (expert only?) & remember IF there are other users (like kids) you can customize the settings for EACH user's version to hide serious ones from them.

Hope this gives some ideas!! Enjoy!! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Hi Sandy

In reply to: Hi, Miki....Not Dead Positive ....

Thank you so much for sharing your preferences. I am processing the information as we speak, and your post is helpful to me.

Miki

Collapse -
To answer your question Miki

In reply to: Spybot - Search & Destroy Tools 1.6.0

NO, you do not need to run in advanced mode for SD Helper to be enabled. Just make sure it is enabled and put it back in default mode if that is what you are comfortable with. It will still work. As far as the other tools, those are all a personal choice and the default setting is probably all you really need.

Collapse -
Hi Roddy......

In reply to: To answer your question Miki

Appreciate your reply.....thank you.

Re my question about running in Advanced Mode for SD Helper to work properly -- I never gave it a thought all these years until I read following from Spybot's tutorial yesterday.

[quote]
You start SDHelper by clicking on Tools ?? Resident on the left navigation bar (therefore Spybot-S&D has to run in Advanced Mode). There you can tick the checkboxes next to Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active in order to activate SDHelper.

If you read it as a blonde, the wording (in parenthesis) is a bit awkward -- better to have said, "therefore Spybot - S&D has to be in Advanced Mode or "therefore Spybot - S&D has to be running in Advanced Mode" Happy

MIki

Collapse -
Yes, that can be confusing the

In reply to: Hi Roddy......

way it is worded. I think they posted it that way because if you don't check the box to enable it during the installation, then the only way to check the box later is to put it into advanced mode. They should have added that you could put it back into default mode after checking that box and it would still work.

You're welcome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.