Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot S&D Problem?

Donna, there seems to be some sort of problem with this new Spybot S&D 1.3.1TX. I gave someone the link for the safer-network download for the fix on a different CNET Forum this morning and they tried it and it didn't work. This is the link that you gave us a few days ago. It worked a couple of days ago so I tried it just now and he is correct, the link does not work.
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/spybotsd131tx.exe

I also checked the link on Major Geeks and it seems to be gone too. There seems to be some discussion on this is some of the other security forums too. Do you have any idea what s going on? This is the link to the other CNET Forum if you would like to follow the threads so you can see what I'm talking about.
Thanks.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=43347&messageID=509290

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot S&D Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot S&D Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Spybot S&D Problem?

In reply to: Spybot S&D Problem?

Roddy,

I don't know which link you had - it is still available in Major Geeks:

Spybot - Search and Destroy DSO Exploit Fix - [2004-10-25 | Freeware | 1.3 Mb | Win All | 13543]
Update for Spybot - Search and Destroy. This update will fix the DSO exploit bug.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Collapse -
Here is the direct link.......

In reply to: Re: Spybot S&D Problem?

Collapse -
Re: Here is the direct link.......

In reply to: Here is the direct link.......

Something fishy is going on Marianna. If you open up the Major Geeks page and click on one of the mirror sites to download it,it tries to download "Spyware Doctor", which I do not believe is the same thing. The link the I posted was the original one from the author's site that Donna had given us all the other day. I used it then and it worked great but no longer does. I went to google this whole thing and there seems to be a lot of discussion going on about this issue in some other forums. I've already got the fix installed myself, it's others that don't that are concerned about it. I think whatever is going on is a new developement since yesterday but I could be wrong of course LOL.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Here is the direct link.......

I just checked, and all the MajorGeek links bring up spybotsd131tx.exe as the file to download.

Only the Author's Site and Planet Mirror didn't work.

Collapse -

OK Brent, thanks, I posted this link from here on the discussion from the Computer Help Forum so the person looking for the information would come here and see what was going on. Sorry if this caused confusion. It's been one of those days. LOL. Thanks Brent and Marianna.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome

Collapse -
roddy - NO problem, You're Welcome ;)

Wink
Collapse -
Works Wonderfully

In reply to: Here is the direct link.......

Thank you again - you are all wonderful. This patch works really well - appreciate all your input, output and help. Kind regards.

Collapse -

In reply to: Spybot S&D Problem?

Gateway 400 Select PC; Windows 98 SE; IE 6 SP 1; 160MB RAM

This may be a repeat ? on my part because I'm having a senior moment (LOL)! If I have never had the DSO exploit show up when running Spybot scan --- do I need to get the fix?

When I check for updates it tell ms no updates available and when I run the scan I get congratulated. So, I'm guessing I should just sit tight until another update comes out ------- unless I do need to go and get the patch.

Thanks -- Julea

Collapse -

Julea,

On our WinXP comp, we never had any DSO exploits noted. I did not install the patch on that one. On our WinXP PRO we did show the DSO exploits so I installed the patch. The latter was done after I told the program to ignore those bogus finds.

Others may suggest some other course.

William

Collapse -

No Julea
From what I found out yesterday, the patch was never even supposed to be released. Like you and also like one of William's computers, the DSO exploit never showed up on my computer either. I DID install the patch 2 or 3 weeks ago, whenever it came out, I can't remember for sure. Also yesterday, they had new definitons listed on the web site but noone seemed to be able to get them and a few hours later, they took them back off the web site and had the ones from October 26th listed again. ANYWAY, I kept checking Spybot's Forum yesterday and the latest is that there will be a new version out soon that will fixing any bugs and there will also be new defs out soon and for everybody to be patient. I will check the forum again later today and see if there is any news and I will post it when it happens. I hope this relieves your mind some. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank U Roddy and William -- I appreciate you!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Julea. :D

In reply to: (NT) Thank U Roddy and William -- I appreciate you!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Welcome Julea :)

In reply to: (NT) Thank U Roddy and William -- I appreciate you!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.