Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot S&D and Firefox

by A.L. / December 1, 2004 4:13 AM PST

Now that I'm using Firefox, and I like it, I notice the Spybot resident and teatimer no longer silently blocks Avenue A and Double click.I have to run spybot to remove them.
Is there a way to block these two things when using Firefox?
Win. XP SP2
Ann

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot S&D and Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot S&D and Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Spybot S&D and Firefox
by roddy32 / December 1, 2004 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Spybot S&D and Firefox

Hi AL
I don't use Firefox myself and I just went through everything in Spybot in the help section and I see nothing there about Firefox, although Opera is mentioned. THAT is when I went their forum to see if I could find out anything else and found out that they are closed for a few hours. If you go to the immunize section on Spybot the ONLY browser that is mentioned there is IE so I'm assuming the the blocking portion of Spybot does not work on Firefox but it will still delete things on a scan. That is a WAG on my part. There are a number of members here that use Firefox so maybe someone else knows more.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 4:47 AM PST

Ann,

You can specify which cookies Firefox "allows" or "denies" like this:

Open Firefox, click on "Tools", then select the Privacy" tab on the left side. When that opens, click on the = sign next to "Cookies", then click on the "Exceptions" button. Type the URL of the "bad" cookie and click on the "block" button.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by A.L. / December 1, 2004 5:10 AM PST

Thank you both Roddy & Grif.
I'll follow your advice, problem solved. Ann

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Ann.
by roddy32 / December 1, 2004 5:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / December 1, 2004 6:23 AM PST

I'm using Mozilla's FireFox v1.0, and have been using the FireBird/FireFox builds for close to two yrs now. I also run Spybot S&D (in advance mode) along with javacools SpywareBlaster and Spyware Guard. I don't seem to encounter the Avenue A and DoubleClick issues you are experiencing. I do notice they are blocked on the rare occassion that I use IE.

I took the advice of a poster here and checked my Tools>Options>cookies>exceptions settings and found that I have a long list of nasty cookies blocked. But, interestingly, I don't recall taking any specific action to place those cookie exception there. It may be that SpywareBlaster, which now offers "protection" for FireFox has placed those "don't allow" cookie exceptions there - as I don't recall doing this myself.

What I might suggest is that you pose this question in Mozilla FireFox forum, found at:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Hope you can find specific answers there.

Collapse -
by A.L. / December 1, 2004 7:29 AM PST

Hi Jake:
I followed Grif's advice and went to tools/options/cookies, I chose "until Firefox closes" in the "keep cookies" drop down box. I now see a whole list of cookies in the "view cookies" that had not been there previously and Spybot is congratulating me again!
Thanks for your comeback Jake. Ann

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / December 1, 2004 8:04 AM PST

No, thank you for bringing this issue up - I had no idea how that was being accomplished - learn something new everyday ... Happy

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / December 1, 2004 8:15 AM PST

I wish this forum had an edit post feature. I went back to check my cookies setting after your post and saw that I have "Allow sites to set cookies">"until they expire" - so I don't think it's this setting that blocks the Avenue A and Double-click. Now I'm thinking that it's the protection offered by SpywareBlaster, since I have so many (don't allow) "exceptions" . And I know I didn't selectively place them there.

Collapse -
Jake, Yep, It's SpywareBlaster Or Maybe Others...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 9:04 AM PST

There are a number of other ways to block specific sites and their cookies. I think Spybot's "Immunize" does the same thing, plus I know a HOSTS file will do the job.

But, as mentioned earlier, Firefox and Internet Explorer can selectively block cookies as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
About edit Jake
by roddy32 / December 1, 2004 9:22 AM PST

All of us have wanted to edit posts before and until that is possible, all that I do is respond to my own post and change the subject to "Appendum" or "PS" and then make whatever correction I wanted to make. Just a suggestion.

Collapse -
Re: About edit Jake
by Jake Barnes / December 1, 2004 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: About edit Jake

Thanks Roddy - I'll use that ... I'm used to forums where I can edit a pervious post - sorry.

Collapse -
Re: About edit Jake
by roddy32 / December 1, 2004 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re: About edit Jake

Maybe we will have that in the future, who knows, LOL I'm glad they got the "remember me" back so we don't have to sign in all the time. Right now they are working on trying to do something different for when a thread gets down so far and the message comes up, "no more replies". That's the next thing being worked on from what I have heard. I run an MSN community group where we can delete a post and start over again with a new one but there is no edit button. I guess they are all different depending on the software used.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?