Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spybot question

by bently / November 26, 2004 11:54 AM PST

Using win XP home.

I ran Spybot and got this problem...

Windows Media Player: Client ID
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\MeciaPlayer\Player\Settings\Client ID= ... Registry change

Windows Media Player: Client ID
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\MeciaPlayer\Player\Settings\Client ID= ... Registry change

Is this something I should ignore, or something I should do something about?

This does not show up when I run Ad-Aware.

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spybot question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spybot question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Spybot question
by Yogi / November 26, 2004 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Spybot question

I have used it and done everything it says to do with no problems ..

If it makes a REG change it sets a restore point so if it messes something up you can go back and restore it just make sure you have restore turned on .

Collapse -
Windows Media Player: Client ID : Spybot question
by bently / November 30, 2004 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Spybot question

I question deleting because it is "Windows Media Player: Client ID" file.

Is this spyware or what?

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
Re: Windows Media Player: Client ID : Spybot question
by roddy32 / November 30, 2004 3:07 AM PST

That is strange Ben how Spybot would pick that out unless it really is bad. I tried googling to no avail. I would wait and see what Marianna or Donna says on that unless someone else has seen it before. It's a new one on me, especially being a registry change.

Collapse -
Spybot question
by mikishots / February 1, 2005 12:04 PM PST

I have also encountered this problem - that's how I ended up here. It says that the problem could be that it's actively being used (in memory - but it's not) and a restart should solve this. It doesn't. The results are in red.

Collapse -
hi mikishots
by roddy32 / February 1, 2005 8:36 PM PST
Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 30, 2004 5:16 AM PST

M$ assigns a unique ID to every install of Windows Media Player. This allows content providers to identify each player that it provides media content to. It can be enabled/disabled via the Privacy tab within Media Palyer's options. I am not sure, but I think this is what may trigger Spybot's detection of this as a registry change.

I don't know what difference it makes either way, but I've always allowed Spybot to correct this, and have never noticed any problems.

As you have noted, Ad-Aware does not detect this. In my experience only Spybot does, which would lead me to believe that the programmers for Spybot consider it as a spyware threat, whereas those at Lavasoft do not.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. Wink

Collapse -
by bently / November 30, 2004 12:46 PM PST

Thanks to both of you.

I did created a new RESTORE POINT, and then DELETED the 2 spybot entries.

So far, don't see anything happening because of deleting them.

Ben

Collapse -
by GovernmentMan / November 30, 2004 2:28 PM PST

Spybot commonly detects usage logs, such as a list of recently open pics in paint, as spyware, or a violation of your privacy. If it doesn't appear in RED in the results list in Spybot, then you can choose if you want to delete it or not. If you do, then there will be no problems. (most likely)

Collapse -
Just WAGs but I believe this may be .....
by tobeach / February 2, 2005 2:33 PM PST

related to MS Digital Rights Managment (DRM). In your media player settings (you don't mention which version #) there is a tick box for: "allow this media player to be uniquely identified by sites", Also another for: "Automatically attempt to obtain license...". I believe these are intended for buying media downloads from pay sites (music,Videos etc). These could certainly be considered privacy concerns and so flagged by Spybot and especially if Tea Timer enabled as may involve overall system setting changes (Registry). If you don't buy& download media from web ( I don't) then you can disable (untick) both until you need them (if ever) in future.
Unfortunately, could also be 1 more path for nasties to exploit. Possibly Spybot is trying to indicate something has moved in there or changed. I suspect it also ties into MPs' radio stations etc. Don't know for sure but seems likely.:-)

Collapse -
spybot settings
by jim c / February 3, 2005 1:05 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.