To prevent homepage hijacking using Spybot Search & Destroy, use item #2, #4a.
1. Immunized IE - all known bad activex will be blocked. Good addition with SpywareBlaster.
2. Resident SD Helper - will block bad downloader in IE. Example: eZula TopText that re-installs/re-download itself even if it's deleted from Add/Remove Programs
3. Tea-Timer (very great feature but beginners might be confused) - monitors any changes in Toolbar, startups, homepage etc while surfing, uninstalling or installing software. The best way usage for beginners is enable it while surfing. Disable it when installing/uninstalling software or updates.
4. IE Tweaks:
a. Lock the Host file - it helps to prevent hijackers in redirecting IE in unwanted sites
b. Lock IE startpage - if your PC is being used by other person or you (current user only) , they can't change the Startpage if this is enabled.
c. Lock IE control panel - if selected, IE Internet options can't be open by current user (current user only).
5. System Start-up - allow us to disable unnecessary items in Windows Startup if a particular application does not have an option to stop loading during Windows Startup
6. Process List - some services or processes (especially malware that runs background process but hard to kill) can be killed with the help of Process List.
Hope this helps
What do I do in Spybot to prevent home page hijacking?
Any risks involved?
What other items in Spybot "Tools" should I be using?
2.4 Gig Pent.
Cable internet with AVG, ZA and the usual bakers dozen of anti-malware programs running.