HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

SpyBot and DoubleClick and Avenue-A

by bear45 / October 8, 2004 10:42 PM PDT

Can I set SpyBot to auto-block DoubleClick and Avenue-A Inc. especially when I'm on Ebay, my click finger is wearing out

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpyBot and DoubleClick and Avenue-A
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpyBot and DoubleClick and Avenue-A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SpyBot and DoubleClick and Avenue-A
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2004 10:46 PM PDT

Yes, make sure you will select "Block all pages silently"

You can find it in SSD>Immunize. Under "Permanently running bad download blocker for IE"

Collapse -
by bear45 / October 9, 2004 11:50 PM PDT

thanks Donna, that's cured that problem........now is there a way to navigate the forums with the keyboard only(1 finger if poss)to save mousing with my (MS disabled) hands ??

Collapse -
by ntsed / October 9, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

interesting that spyBot blocks Avenue A from trying to load as I'm reading the different responses on this very forum.

Collapse -
by CharleyO / October 9, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

ntsed - this has been brought up by me and several others in this forum ... but without good results. We all know that AvenueA, Doubleclick, etc are invasive tracking cookies. Still, cnet insists on using invasive tracking cookies. Just make sure all such cookies are block!

Collapse -
by bear45 / October 10, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

I don't get invasive cookies here in UK from CNET, but I can never get a result when I log into 'My Discussions'

Collapse -
by bear45 / October 9, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

as I'm proper english, I'm using Ebay UK only
perhaps it's different.

Collapse -
Avenue-A - What is it anyway?
by 5dukesnnc / November 21, 2004 5:05 AM PST

I'm really going to show my ignorance but what is Avenue A. In trying to understand, is it a cookie?

I am an IE user but that is all I know since that is what is used at the office and I really didn't want to get used to anything else at home (it's enough to have Windows XP, Office 2003 at home and Windows 2000, Office 2000 at work).

I made the change suggested in a previous post about blocking silently. Mostly noticed it gave me this message when I would try to check my Hotmail. We'll see if it worked!

Thanks for the info and feedback. I may have been using a computer for a while but the techy stuff is still over my head! :o)

Collapse -
Re: Avenue-A - What is it anyway?
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 5:12 AM PST

It's a tracking cookie. Spybot blocks it so you are all set.

Collapse -
Confessions from a Blonde
by michhala / November 21, 2004 5:38 AM PST

I am a little embarrassed to let everyone know this....but here goes.....:)

Although I have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, I cannot break the addiction of several times a day opening Internet Options and using Delete Files, Clear History, and View/Settings to delete unwanted cookies. My tracking cookies probably are killed before they send home -- they never get to graduate to the spyware kill software.

Miki (Supporter of Blonde Logic)

Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL Special 9.0 Optimized

Collapse -
Re: Confessions from a Blonde
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 6:01 AM PST

Miki
I delete temp files and history once a day, mainly due to being a habit from my first two computers that were old and I needed the space. I have to admit that I very seldom clear cookies, other than the ones that are blocked or Ad-Aware picks up because 95% of the web sites that I visit regularly use cookies and I really hate having to sign in everywhere. They take up a very small amount of space in the hard drive. It's a personal choice.

Collapse -
by michhala / November 21, 2004 6:09 AM PST

Roddy -- Since 1998 and until a few weeks ago, I did not use a firewall and never had an intrusion........I feel this is due to my good housekeeping habits and the security of my particular version of AOL/DSL.

Miki

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 6:16 AM PST

You are one of the smart ones Miki. Too many people don't realize the threats that are out there, particularly within the last year. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too much security as long as everything gets along with each other LOL. Keep up the good work. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Roddy......miki
by michhala / November 21, 2004 9:06 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Miki. :D
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 9:10 AM PST
Collapse -
by michhala / November 21, 2004 10:35 AM PST

Roddy wrote:

>I have to admit that I very seldom clear cookies, other than the ones that are blocked or Ad-Aware picks >up because 95% of the web sites that I visit regularly use cookies and I really hate having to sign >in everywhere. They take up a very small amount of space in the hard drive. It's a personal choice.

Hi Roddy -- I do not clear all cookies either. In Internet Options, I bypass Delete Cookies and Delete Files, which removes everything but cookies. Then I click Settings and View -- only cookies remain there, and I select those I want deleted and keep those I need for signing on to websites Happy

Miki

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 10:40 AM PST

I did that exact same thing tonight after I made that post cause it reminded me that I hadn't done that in a while. LOL The cookie thing I mean. I went through the list and deleted about 200 of them. Thanks for reminding me. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'Twas my pleasure...... :) miki
by michhala / November 21, 2004 1:01 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.