Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

by Donna Buenaventura / March 11, 2004 11:42 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by A.L. / March 12, 2004 12:41 AM PST

I read the article with great interest Donna, when I clicked on it I got an alert from Spybot that it brought with it a known threat. Spyware in an article about spyware! Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 12:50 AM PST

Spybot S&D is quiet here when I first click on the link. Is it BHO alert? Spybot S&D over here is configured to display a dialogue box when blocking. May I ask what browser did you use while viewing the page?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by A.L. / March 12, 2004 1:32 AM PST

I'm using Intenet Explorer Donna and the message that I get from Sybot S&D Resident is "Spybot reports you want to download Targetnet.This is a known threat. Do you want to block this download."
The message popped up on all 3 pages of the article and despite clicking yes on the "do you want to block" message when I ran Spybot it did find one instance of Targetnet. Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 2:09 AM PST

Hi Ann,

I'm now running a scan using Spybot S&D to find out if there is a Targetnet or other spyware that was installed because of Flexbeta site. The last time I ran a Spybot scan, system is clean from spyware.

While reading the comments of posters on the review Spy vs Spy, I found a post that Spybot found spyware in Flexabeta site and the response was:

About the spyware on Flexbeta. LAst night I put up a banner from an advertisemnt firm I will not mention. I posted the html code of the banner, but no where did it say that it was going to generate popups. I was very frustated when I found out this morning and sent them an email. They replied by saying that by default, all banners come with popups. But this to me is ridicoluos because when you select the html code that generates the banner, you are giving three choices, a 720x90 banner, a 468 x 60 banner and popups. Now why would banners contain popups if there is an option for popups. I think this is very tricky from there part. I apologize for any harm this may have caused to your computer.

Maybe you can alert them too by posting a comment so they'll know that the spyware Targetnet was installed. Just a suggesting this because the above comment and response was posted last March 1, 2004.

Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by A.L. / March 12, 2004 8:18 PM PST

Donna I did alert them with a message in the Flexbeta comment page.
I guess no one is immune from Spyware!!!!
Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D
by stonehkm / March 16, 2004 5:38 PM PST

I got the same message about "Target net" while reading the article. Surprising when one considers the source of the page! I run both Adaware and Spybot S&D.I use AdAware daily. About once a week, I use Spybot S&D to pick up the few items missed by AdAware. If you only use one, then use AdAware as it is much quicker, more efficient and easier to use. May I suggest the addition of WinPatrol? This can be set to warn of any new programs begore they install and is also FREE!

Collapse -
Donna, as far as I know this pop-up only works in IE.
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 12, 2004 1:37 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Donna, as far as I know this pop-up only works in IE.
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 1:54 AM PST

I tried viewing the page with IE, Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, MyIE2. Still.. Spybot S&D is quiet. No dialogue box, no pop-ups. I'll run Spybot scan to check if something was installed quietly that Spybot failed to detect or block.

Collapse -
(NT) You have to have IE as "default" !

Collapse -
Re:(NT) You have to have IE as
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 2:12 AM PST

I frequently use Opera and Firefox but IE is the default browser here. Happy

BTW, SSD is done with the scan and there's no spyware.

Collapse -
That's "strange" - I had to to change it
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 12, 2004 2:17 AM PST

to: block all pages silently as it got "too annoying".

Hmm... another "thought" I have NO Hosts-file - could that be the "reason" ??

Collapse -
Re:That's
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 2:50 AM PST

I don't use Host file. I am only using IE-SPYAD only. I'm not sure if IE-SPYAD is my hero because I do not see flexabeta in the restricted site and am not aware who is the author for Targetnet or its site. So I can't tell whether IESPYAD is the one who blocked it. Maybe it is IE-SPYAD because it can block: stop unwanted crapware, shut down ActiveX, Java, and scripting, combat obnoxious script-based popups, prevent the hijacking of your home page. Happy

I think Host file is not going to protect the user the above because HOST file, AFAIK only prevent any kind of access to the domains that is listed to be blocked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Happy

Collapse -
Marianna..
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 2:56 AM PST

My Win2k and Win98 does not have IE-SPYAD only WinXP. I tried viewing Flexabeta site using Win2K and Win98. SSD is still quiet here. No pop-ups. Maybe it is because of the IE settings here? All Install on demand is unchecked.

Collapse -
Here is "proof" .......
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 12, 2004 3:11 AM PST
click here

I have also UNchecked the 2 items you mentioned. But you have to change in spybots&d to show:

"ask for blocking confirmation" !
Collapse -
Re:Here is
by Donna Buenaventura / March 12, 2004 4:31 PM PST

No idea Marianna why I don't get that dialogue box Confused
My setting with SSD is the same as yours "ask for blocking confirmation"

Collapse -
Marianna & Donna...My 'HOSTS' File BLOCKS It All
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 13, 2004 8:53 AM PST

I get no pop ups either and there is no sign of the offending program on any of the computers where I'm running the HOSTS file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, Thanks - that's what I thought - Hosts file blocking it :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2004 9:18 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Marianna & Donna...My 'HOSTS' File BLOCKS It All
by Donna Buenaventura / March 13, 2004 9:34 AM PST

Now am not sure which security program or tools I got here as my hero Grin because I didn't get any popups or alert from SSD too.

Thanks Grif Cool

Collapse -
[NT] So, SpybotSD give a warning and Adaware didn't?
by Gakada / March 13, 2004 2:24 PM PST

Collapse -
(NT)Yep, there is ONLY a warning from SpybotS&D - none from Ad-aware here
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2004 2:28 PM PST

Collapse -
Re:(NT)Yep, there is ONLY a warning from SpybotS&D - none from Ad-aware here

That's the only reason I keep SpyBot S&D. I use Adaware to scan, but keep SpyBot S&D to block and warn of attempted intrusions by spyware, a feature missing from AdAware. Use both! And remember, use WinPatrol to warn you when a new program tries to start and asks for your permission. A minor annoyance, but worth it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:(NT)Yep, there is ONLY a warning from SpybotS&D - none from Ad-aware here

Yup, WinPatrol is a neat program that will alert users if anything is added and has extra info for each items in startup programs, IE helpers, scheduled task, services and active task. Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:(NT)Yep, there is ONLY a warning from SpybotS&D - none from Ad-aware here

Thanks for the info about WinPatrol, I just downloaded it and will try it out. Ann

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.