Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spy-Bot

by gheyl / September 16, 2006 6:45 PM PDT

I'm having issues with spy-bot search and destroy. When I ran it to check if I have any spyware it tells me that I have many, so I fix the selected problems. But it seems that the same ones keep popping up every time I run the program. So just to see what would happen I run it then right after I do that I run it again and the same problems pop right back up. What?s the deal here? Is it that my computer gets allot spyware or is spy-bot dead? Can someone answer this for me please?
Thanks,
Sotat

P.S. i dont know if this is the right forum for this question but i would be grateful if someone would help anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spy-Bot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spy-Bot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Sotat
by roddy32 / September 16, 2006 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Spy-Bot

First of all Spybot S&D does NOT have a (-) in the title such as you are using (Spy-Bot) which tends to make me think you are using one of the many ripoff rogue programs that are out there. Make sure you are using Spybot Search and Destroy by Patrick Kolla from Safer Networking. Second, please offer some more info like the note above where you typed your subject in is which says

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Also, exactly WHAT are the detections you are gettting, assuming you are using the correct Spybot?

Collapse -
Hit same problem with SpyBot S & D
by DarCLew2 / September 17, 2006 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Sotat

Found that the problem was me, and I didn't read the instructions and they may have been there. The Items listed, click to highlight and delete. I setup ny recycle bin under properties to save items but delete them first. Maybe the item on the left has a way to immunize them. I didn't so they were deleted. Darrell L

Collapse -
sorry
by gheyl / September 17, 2006 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Sotat

I'm sorry i didnt mean to not include those things.
I do have the real SpyBot (I downloaded it from CNET) and as for my tech specs I have a sony vaio FE (not sure of the model number) with meadia center edition OS. Some of the detections that I keep getting are HitBox, MediaPlex, Avertising.com, and DoubleClick.

is that enough info or do I need to include more?

Collapse -
Those are just tracking cookies
by roddy32 / September 17, 2006 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

and will come back whenever you revisit the website that is putting them there. If you read through Spybot's Help File it will tell you how to block a lot of them.

Collapse -
zotat, those tracking cookies can be blocked it u IE6 SP1
by DarCLew2 / September 18, 2006 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

hotbox.com, mediaplex.com, advertising.com and doubleclick.net can be blocked if you have Internet Explorer SP1, go to Control Panel, Internet Options is a Privacy Tab, click it and Sites should be there, click that an type those 4 as listed above and hit enter for each one. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.