Phones forum

General discussion

sprint vs. cingular in NY

by wstlnd / May 3, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

Hi,

I am currently a t-mobile customer, but am planning on switching out (no particular problems, just want to switch). I had sprint had one point several years ago, and it seemed fine. However, I am mainly considering cingular right now, and was wondering what people's experiences have been with cingular in the NY area - manhattan, brooklyn, bronx, even new jersey and upstate NY. Is it worth it picking cingular over sprint?

Also, what phones do people recommend? Would like a regular flip phone with a camera - don't need any other fancy things; just so long as it works well. Thanks a lot for any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sprint vs. cingular in NY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sprint vs. cingular in NY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ok then
by unclegee1 / May 4, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

Your question is a good one to ask a cingular rep at a store. All phones have cameras these days and most of them are high end...Go do some thinkin and talkin and come back

Collapse -
well
by wstlnd / May 4, 2006 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok then

for starters, my main concern is whether I should pick cingular over sprint - I don't think I'll get any 'good' answers from cingular reps

second, I know tons of phones are high-end and have cameras. however, that by far does not mean that the phone is a good one - just read all those reviews out there of phones with horrible reception, volume, etc etc... again, a sales rep won't know because they probably won't have used all the phones - and they are trying to sell more than trying to tell you what really works. so I would like some input from people who might have a phone they are really happy with.

Collapse -
People are too picky
by unclegee1 / May 4, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: well

Cingular- Sony Ericsson, nokia or motorola

Collapse -
it depends
by Danni Sarena / May 4, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

i live in buffalo ny and cingular reception is great here. it remains great in my travels up and down the thuway and in more remote places in the state as well...But on long island and in immediate nycity area its poor...dropped calls, varible reception as well...once above nyc, ie westchester its fine. friends w t-mobile in bflo area have spotty reception, hope this helps

Collapse -
I have Cingular
by TechyDRGuy / May 5, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: it depends

I live in Manhattan and I think I get pretty good reception. I've had my phone (don't buy if if you want something cool) for about 1 3/4 years and I haven't had a dropped call. Reception can get spotty at times when your indoors, but outside it's good enough. As for phones,I'm looking to upgrade soon and I need to visit a store to see what they have.

Collapse -
nyc indoors
by wstlnd / May 6, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I have Cingular

thanks for the input from both of you. I will primarily be using the phone in nyc boroughs - manhattan, brooklyn, queens, bronx. I will also be using it primarily indoors. from what I gather from what you have said, it seems like it'd be "spotty"... is that likely to be the case? or is it mainly in some types of buildings (all brick, etc)?

anyone else knows how cingular performs in the nyc boroughs?

Collapse -
On indoors use
by TechyDRGuy / May 6, 2006 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: nyc indoors

It depends on how many windows the building has. How deep in are you going to be getting. If you work in a nice office your good. If your going to be in a room with four walls and no window or your going to be way far from a window most of the time then your might want to check out other carriers.

Collapse -
get cingular
by liltrey808 / May 7, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

get cingular they have the best coverage and most coumstemers and get the motoriola razr they are buy 1 get 1 free and if u dont loke it u can return every thing and get yoour miney back and cingular covers 273 million people and they are constanly upgrading towers and most people have cingular so all your calls are usually free and u get cool american idole stuff, sprints coverage itint really good but works but most people recomend cingular.

Collapse -
Cingular 2 for 1 Razr
by samwanish / May 9, 2006 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: get cingular

Was this deal on the net? I went to the Cingular site and there isn't anything for a buy 1 get 1 free for the Razr phones.

Collapse -
razr
by liltrey808 / July 16, 2006 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Cingular 2 for 1 Razr

i have the razr blue but u have to go to the store and get the buy 1 get 1 or on wirefly.com i work at cingular

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) huh?
by Jlak64 / July 20, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: razr
Collapse -
I had the same issue
by garausa / May 7, 2006 5:37 AM PDT

I would recommend cingular. I get reception everywhere. I was thinking of switching to sprint, because almost everybody I know has sprint, however I wasn't sure about the reception. I borrowed my brother's sprint phone and brought it to the areas that I frequent and the reception was "spotty". Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Cingular
by JCS007 / May 7, 2006 1:47 PM PDT

Cingular beats Sprint hands down.

Collapse -
How is Verizon in NY areas
by SuperReviewer / May 8, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

How is the Verizon service in the Tri-State area. I was going to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon, just wanted to know how the reception was comparatively.

Thanks

Collapse -
Verizon
by TechyDRGuy / May 8, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

I had Verizon about 2 years ago and it was good, but I think I had more dropped calls than I've had with Cingular.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!