Phones forum

General discussion

Sprint or Verizon??

by bednarm / May 25, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

I live in the northern suburbs, between Chicago and Milwaukee. I travel all over (northern Wisconsin, UP Michigan, Lake Geneva, AZ, FL, and everywhere in between). I currently have T-Mobile but they don't have service in Lake Geneva or Door County, WI. I'm on a family plan and use about 1500 mins a month. The bill is averaging $145/mo. Should I go with Sprint or Verizon? Also what can anybody tell me about the Sanyo 8200? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sprint or Verizon??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sprint or Verizon??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sprint or Verizon??
by dave1973 / May 25, 2005 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Sprint or Verizon??

I have Verizon Wireless and I've used my phone in the northern suburbs of Chicago as well as in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Kenosha, and Racine Counties in the Milwaukee metropolitan areas. It works fine in the Milwaukee area. I however did have a problem when I went into Ozaukee County where there aren't many cell phone towers along I-43, and I normally only had the transmission bar showing on my phone. I have the Samsung a650 and vs. my old Motorola 120c phone, The Samsung a650 works in more areas than the Motorola 120c did. I had to be in areas where the phone would show at least 3 bars (not counting the transmission bar) for the phone to work. Also that phone went into analog a lot where digital was weak, and even analog was weak too. The Samsung from my experience holds a digital signal better, but I also have analog backup in case I go into an area where digital might not be available, and that's common in areas served by Alltel, which is the big carrier in rural Wisconsin.
I haven't tested tested Verizon Wireless around Lake Geneva yet since I have yet to visit there, but I may get an opportunity toward the end of the year. It has worked great for me in Madison Wisconsin and along I-90 from the state line to Madison, and along I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee. The trip between Madison and Milwaukee was done with my old Kyocera 2235, which was a good phone for reception, but the bright blue screen caused me to get a different phone. I don't know when Verizon Wireless will expand in Wisconsin, but I'm aware that the only market they'll be adding is Eau Claire, and that's because they acquired licenses from the company that owns Cricket. As for calling plans, if you can cut back on minutes, you can get the 1350anytime minutes for $80. There might be plans that are different at the stores vs. the website. I'm going by the website since I'm at work. But if you wanna make sure that you get service from the sale of service, go to the corporate store and not a reseller. The resellers don't always have the best knowledge of the service they sell and you might get wrong information. I had a problem when I signed up with Verizon Wireless service from Radio Shack. Radio Shack wouldn't have the phone insured and told me it wasn't an option. I lost my first phone and I was fortunate to get a new one through the Oops plan (I don't know if it's still around since this was October 2002) for $80 from Verizon Wireless, compared to $225 that Radio Shack was trying to charge to replace my phone, and would still not offer insurance from them or anyone else. Also the corporate salesperson knows where service is available and can tell you if Verizon Wireless is in those markets. The reseller doesn't have the same knowledge on that. The reseller may have better offers on phones, but if you want better service knowing you'll have the best contract, go through the corporate stores. I can't comment on Sprint PCS though.

Collapse -
Sprint or Verizon?? SPRINT!!!
by behindTHEscenes5 / May 29, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

Hi. I've never had Verizon so I can't comment about it but I did used to have T-Mobile and I switched over to Sprint. I picked Sprint because they have tons and tons of features (and I need features!! haha). I've been really happy with it. I travel a lot too, and I live in South Florida and I can tell you that the service here is great! Sprint can roam to the Verizon network too, so if you pay $5 extra a month then you can roam for free.... except the 5 dollars Happy when I went to South Dakota last summer, I was roaming the entire time. (And we went to some out places where I was really not expecting to get any service) As I've heard good things about Verizon, Sprint has been great for me. I have the Sanyo SCP-5500 (VM-4500) and I've been really happy with it too. I hope this helps and I've been much happier with Sprint than with T-Mobile.

Collapse -
Go with Sprint.
by nycboy0156 / June 6, 2005 8:32 PM PDT

Verizon is way overpriced. I have used sprint, AT&T and Cingular. While traveling all over the country Sprint could connect even in the most barron desert areas of the country by swithing to analog all on it's own. Their once lousy customer service has gotten much better. Keep away from phone insurance my daughter lost her phone and they still made her pay for a new one. They have excellent coverage and use the same CDMA that verizon does, only they don't charge an arm and a leg for it.

Collapse -
Why no Insurance?
by dave1973 / June 7, 2005 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Go with Sprint.

Why do you tell people not to get insurance? If the phone gets lost and you have insurance, you only have to pay a deductible to replace the phone. It came handy for me when my Samsung a650 dropped out of my coat pocket and the screen cracked. I only had to pay a $50 deductible and I got a replacement right away from Verizon Wireless. If I had gone through Radio Shack again to get an upgrade, they wouldn't have even tried to offer insurance. I lost my original phone which I got from Radio Shack and they tried to charge me $225 to get a new Motorola 120c (October 2002) and I went to another authorized agent who talked with Verizon Wireless and they got me another phone, though not the same one. Since that experience with most authorized agents, I got my upgrade from Verizon Wireless and had the insurance put on it, which Radio Shack refused to do. 4 months into owning the phone, the screen cracked and took the phone to Verizon Wireless and got a replacement on the spot. If I hadn't got the insurance, I would have had to pay $209.95 for the phone. Money I don't have to spend to replace my phone. This phone has lasted me 6 months and hope it'll last me 'til June next year when I'm eligible for another upgrade. I do know that the market I live in will change before the current contract is up. I only hope the rates aren't higher in Milwaukee, which is where I expect to be reloating before the year is up. I'm currently in Gary Indiana and they're tied to the Chicago market.
As for Verizon Wireless charging more for their service. They do, and I won't lie. I went with them after Sprint discontinued a local plan I wanted and the only plan they had in March 2002 was local 200 anytime minutes for $34.99 and no night and weekend minutes. Verizon Wireless had the Americas Choice plan 300 anytime minutes and 3000 night & weekend minutes. I compared the networks of both plans and where I go and both services covered where I traveled, but I felt the Verizon plan was in my better interest. For where they cover, from my experience, I rarely have a dropped call because they spend big bucks to cover their areas well. Phone also makes a big difference too. I find Kyocera and Samsung work best while I find Motorola and LG don't work as well. My brother has owned the LG VX4400 and had too many dropped calls, even with full signal strength, and now owns the Motorola V265 and complains about just as many dropped calls with it as the LG VX4400, though he doesn't get dropped calls with full signal strength.

Collapse -
I too do not believe in insurance.
by hh / June 8, 2005 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Why no Insurance?

You pay $6 per month and then $50 deductible and then you will get a refurbished phone. Unless you loose your phone in the first month or two, you are better off buying a used phone on eBay as replacement. If you were to get a brand new phone, then I would agree that insurance might be worth it.

Collapse -
Re: I too do not believe in insurance.
by dave1973 / June 8, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

Since I got a reliable brand phone, the insurance was worth it for me since I wanted to get the same phone. The only difference I noticed with the phone I have now compared to the one I bought brand new is, the refurbished phone jack holds my phone plug in better than the one on the new phone. I'm not one that tells people that they have to get it. If you can protect your phone in every way to keep it in your possession and working order, then you might not need insurance. For me, insurance helped me out. I tried the Ebay route and for what phones were going for, I found it not worth the trouble because the used phones were (in most cases) going for as much or more than what Verizon Wireless sells with new contract. So I'd rather have the insurance. But for a phone that breaks down a lot, insurance might be just as bad as not having it at all. My brother had 3 LG VX 4400's replaced before he decided to get a different phone, and decided to get the Motorola V265, when he was originally going to get the Samsung a650, which is what I have. Now he complains he has the same reception problems he had with the LG VX4400, which I don't experience with my Samsung a650.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) verizon wireless is better (period).
by iknowphones / October 22, 2005 7:28 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?