Phones forum

General discussion

Sprint issue no one is resolving strong signal then nothing

Hi everyone,

I have four various Sprint phones on my account. All four have worked great for years.

Unfortunately I moved into an area; zip code 92603. Sprint says there are four towers within 2.5 miles and one within 1.7 miles that should get 92% signal ratio (?).

I get data very well - my Sprint Pantech card holds signal and keeps it for days on end at a strong signal strength.

But, the phones on voice go from 5 bars to 0, drops the signal and hangs up, then gets 5 bars again. This all happens within 15 seconds, then cycles back through again - 5 bars to 0, 5 bars to 0. Texting does the same thing. This is happening on an LG phone, Samsung phone, Treo and another Samsung. Same exact problem. I've done the PRL updates. It definitely isn't phone related.

Sprint says their field techs find no trouble. I've asked them to COME to my house so I can show them - apparently the previous owner had the same issue. Right now my Sprint cell phone is forwarding to my home phone, which is costing me a fortune in forwarded calls.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!
Dani

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sprint issue no one is resolving strong signal then nothing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sprint issue no one is resolving strong signal then nothing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have them come out and prove it to them.

In reply to: Sprint issue no one is resolving strong signal then nothing

They won't like that. They need to send someone out or tell them you want to cancel your contract for poor and/or no service.

That will get them to open their eyes.

Rick

Collapse -
I've tried that unfortunately...

In reply to: Have them come out and prove it to them.

I've done that.. I have a large account, nearly $500/month, and they said they dont even have access to the field engineers and that the engineers dont work with individuals or businesses, only with customer care. Frustrating indeed.

Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: I've tried that unfortunately...

it's time for a change.

Rick

Collapse -
Changing providers

In reply to: Maybe

Unfortunately my neighbors say the other providers have similar issues...

Collapse -
Sprint Airave singal booster

In reply to: Changing providers

Collapse -
Definitely...

In reply to: Sprint Airave singal booster

It should fix it.. but.. I can't get it yet in my area. grrr

Collapse -
Solution

Sprint is introducing a new prduct on the 18th. It is called the Sprint Samsung AIRAVE, it is a Sprint signal booster. You connect it through a router onto your highspeed internet connection. It boost your Sprint CDMA signal up to 5000 sq feet. So basically anywhre in your home it would allow you to use your sprint service.

It is only being introduced throught the Account Services (cancelation) dept. You need to call and act as if you want to cancel your service do to lack of signal in your home. If they dont offer the AIRAVE to you then you ask about it.(not all reps are trained on it yet). The device could run from FREE (2yr contract) to $99.00. The service is free you just use your minutes (plan like normal) There is an option to have all calls made on the Airaave free.. You would have to ask about that.
Good luck

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Solution

Im going to try that right now. Ill post if it works or they just let me cancel!

Collapse -
not so fast

In reply to: Thanks

The Airave is not available nationwide until JULY 18

Collapse -
Did it work? Hm.. ;)

In reply to: Solution

First .. it is amazing how fast they answer the calls when you say "cancel" into the mic. Instead of 3 hours (yes, 3 hours) yesterday I got a live person in 25 seconds.

They said they aren't available until next week - or "maybe next month in my area". I said Im cancelling all 5 phones. I was put on hold (again) while they figured out what they could do to "keep my business".

(I just got your follow up post saying July 18th by the way).

They are going to ship me one in three days (supposedly). We shall see. Ill let you all know if I actually end up with one in my hands.

They are telling me to call Airave tech support.

I call tech support - they say it's now August 17th for a release date and that cancellation doesn't know the new date.

Calling Sprint back now.

Collapse -
Service issues

The following link you can get an idea of what the service should be like, the further you zoom in you will see road names, etc.
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

I know for a fact that Sprint-Nextel will send out RF Engineers and or Field Techs to investigate issues like you are having. Do you deal with a Sales Rep, with the number of lines you have I would thin k you would, if so they can help you.
I do have a contact in the company, that I could reach out to to see what he can do.

A couple of questions, Is the signal better outside of your home than inside? Is it better on one side of the house than the other? Does the signal get better at anytime during the day or night? Does the signal get better as you get closer to a site? Are the data devices you are using on EVDO?

The issue with the bouncing signal sounds like interference, or a T-1 issue, most Sprint sites have 2 T-1's one for voice and one for data, but I would think that if there was an issue with the T it would have been picked up, and you said the previous owner had similar issues.

1.7 to 2.5 miles for 1900MHz to travel is pushing it, especially if the terrain is hilly, rocky, etc. the site 1.7 miles away is the closest but what is in between the antenna of the site and the antenna of your phone also matters.

Good luck to you.

Collapse -
Responding to aaf123

In reply to: Service issues

Hi... any help would be GREAT. Signal is the same inside and outside the home, all the way down the street. Not better any particular day or night. I have two Pantech cards, two Samsung phones (different models) and one Treo. I have a tower 1.7 miles away with 100% (or so they say) success rate.

On the map you sent coverage details shows good for my home, best for Nextel.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. This is severely damaging my business, and Sprint doesn't really seem to care...

Collapse -
RE

In reply to: Responding to aaf123

Sprint has an internal website for employees to help customers, I would need some info. I did set up my profile so that you can e-mail me. If you want to swap a couple of e-mails first so that you can verify who I am then we can go from there.

Collapse -
Yep please contact me...

In reply to: RE

My email is mischik@hotmail.com..

Collapse -
Great...

I don't think you can actually trust in the Airave that's about to be released, but I am quite certain that a sudden signal breakdown is not the provider's problem, it should be the phones.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.