Speakeasy forum

General discussion

spring forward, fall back, fall over :-(

by jonah jones / September 21, 2004 11:12 AM PDT

we went over to "wintertime" last night...

at 10:00pm i went around the house and reset all the clocks (amazing how many there are :-))...

resetset the VCR, the microwave, computers all was well...

woke up early, got dressed, went to work...

looked at the clock at work, looked at my watch DUH DUH DUH!!!

i had set ALL the clocks 1 hour forward!!!!!!

as a result i'm sitting here at 03:14 AM with the earliest coffee and cigarette in a longggggg time

Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spring forward, fall back, fall over :-(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spring forward, fall back, fall over :-(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: spring forward, fall back, fall over :-(
by Glenda / September 21, 2004 11:17 AM PDT

LOL Been there done that:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Well, with mornings getting later and evenings drawing in...
by Mosonnow / September 21, 2004 11:44 AM PDT

I've overslept twice this week - and we haven't even put our clocks back yet. Can someone do me a favour and wake me up at half-past May.

OTOH, at 3.14 am, there's nothing better than an ice-cold bowl of jelly (jello?). Use an orange jelly under-base and add coffee and cocoa to the mixing water. See, nothing better so far invented to remind you where you left the bottle of Scotch Whisky...

Rise and shine Jonah! Wink

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Well, with mornings getting later and evenings drawing i
by Angeline Booher / September 22, 2004 9:13 AM PDT

Hi, Mo,

I must say you have a gift for witty writing!

Your jello concoction reminded me of a cookie (biscuit) sold in your country. Chocolate covered orange jelly. Delicious!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Yes, though I remember them more from my childhood days ...
by Mosonnow / September 23, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

when everything seemed bigger, either by relative size of me, or they have cut so many cost-cutting corners that they are not the Luverly Big Spongy Jelly and Chocolate Things they once were. Or ... maybe it's just that they go flat when dipping them in my glass of Scotch. Doh!

I'll post a recipe if you like - for Scotch that is of course...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: spring forward, fall back, fall over :-( -- Early!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 21, 2004 1:56 PM PDT

Hi, Jonah.

We don't change back until late October. Odd they do it in midweek there -- we always do it on a weekend, so those who forget don't get their work schedules fouled up.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: maybe Josh could explain it better than me
by jonah jones / September 21, 2004 8:12 PM PDT

but it's a religious thing...

this friday night is not only the sabbath eve, but also the evening before yom kippur (day of attonement), and so as not to mess up the prayer times, we 'fell back' early Sad

the annoying thing about it all is that there was a suggestion (decision) that we don't fall back this year and gain an hour of "summertime" all year round, and then resume normal 'summertime' next year...

it was only a week ago that they announced that we were faling back as usual ....

some computers and even cell phones had to be adjusted manually..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think you explained it just fine
by Josh K / September 21, 2004 11:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Did you think to...
by Edward ODaniel / September 22, 2004 12:15 AM PDT

call home and alert the rest of the family so they wouldn't be tying your record of "the earliest coffee and cigarette in a longggggg time"? Devil

Collapse -
Re:when i realised what i'd done
by jonah jones / September 22, 2004 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you think to...

i actually had to go home, sneak in REAL quiet and reset the alarm clock for my wife Happy

Collapse -
Did you sneak in...
by Edward ODaniel / September 22, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

to courteously avoid waking her or to avoid a cacophony of merriment at your expense? Wink

Collapse -
Re: spring forward, fall back, fall over :-(
by Angeline Booher / September 22, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

You are a good story teller, Jonah!

That's ok, Jonah. It has happened in my household.

When we were visiting Yosemite with my brother, we stayed in a more rustic and older lodge that had no private bath rooms. So, I set the travel alarm to get up early and beat the crowd to the showers, which I did.

After returning to the room we 3 shared, I used my hair dryer, which awakened the guys. They slowly arose. Then, my brother - a Californian- looked at his watch, which was set to Pacific time.

Mine was on Central time.

The guys were not amused.

I sat outside the door on the porch for two hours. The sunrise was very pretty.

Angeline

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.