Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

spousal spyware

by millicent2006 / October 19, 2006 5:36 PM PDT

Hi,this is my first posting so should i make a mistake,please tell me! Anyway,lately-i have been hearing and reading a lot of things about spouses installing spyware,ie.keystroke and such on your computer. Is there any way to be able to tell if ANY of such programms has been installed? I don`t think a normal computer "search term" or antivirus will pick those up,so what to do??? How can i find out for sure?
Am i even posting this question in the right forum?
Thank you !!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spousal spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spousal spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
spousal spyware
by SFAQL / October 19, 2006 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: spousal spyware

I'm not telepathic,but I smell a rat here immediately.
In my opinion your own concience is not clear,or you would not be posting on this point.I personally couln't care less if my spouse installed such programmes,so the egg will be on her face when she finds zero.My guess is that if i'm right,you will slip up rather sooner than later.
Doug.

Collapse -
WTH???
by millicent2006 / October 20, 2006 12:53 AM PDT

What was that all about??? A rat? My friend and i were talking,this question came up because we had seen lots of ads about this kind of things.Even though he is living in a different house now, he still held a key and she found him one day as she got home doing things on her computer.She told me that she hadn`t changed her passwords yet,assuming that there was no need.
Immediately after this visit her computer started acting strange. She is worried that her conversations and e-mails with her family are being recorded and she is afraid to use her computer now. This is also the reason why I am posting this question,and not her.
We just thought that this might be a possibility and figured there might be a wy to find out,for her own peace of mind. I had no idea that this was so absurd,but thank you for your answer!

Collapse -
Reply to: WTH???
by SFAQL / October 20, 2006 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: WTH???

Sorry Millicent2006,I wasn,t aware of the facts,and now I understand where your coming from.Now you have explained it in detail.Please accept my apology.
Doug.

Collapse -
Spyware scans...
by John.Wilkinson / October 20, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

Let me start of by saying that there are many different types of monitoring, including a trap (a piece of hardware) that intercepts what you type on the keyboard, a video camera placed that can record what's displayed on your monitor, or software, which may not always be detectable. Software such as Webroot SpySweeper can detect most such spyware, including those protected by rootkits, so it should give you some piece of mind. Ewido is a good complement and available free of charge. It's no absolute but it should give you some piece f mind.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I'd start by changing the locks and all passwords if I were her.

Collapse -
spyware
by millicent2006 / October 20, 2006 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware scans...

Thank you so much for your advice,JOHN!
I know she has changed the passwords by now,but the rest,i have to ask her.
However,i will print this out and get this info to her and hope this will help and put her mind at ease.
Again,this was much appreciated!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?