No expert here, and you may have tried this already, but what would happen if;
1] You disconnected the HP Deskjet printer from the computer, boot up, then delete it from Printers and Faxes in the Start menu, reboot.
Rebooting between each step removes any un-required registry entries that may otherwise still be present in memory.
2] Then uninstall Adobe Pro from the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel, then reboot. Check the Adobe web site for any specific Adobe Uninstaller files/instructions.
3] Start the Spooler Service.
4] Reload the HP Deskjet printer software before re-connecting the printer. Close down, connect the printer, and boot up.
5] Install the Adobe software.
Amongst other problems that may arise, I can see one immediately at part 1]. If the Spooler SubSystem is not started, then "Printers and Faxes" will not show any installed printers, so see if you can start the Print Spooler manually from the Services console. If that fails in normal mode, see if you can do that in Safe Mode, (Instructions here).
One other thing. Since this is XP, any chance that you have a System Restore point set to sometime just before you added the older printer? If so it might be worth a try to restore to that point first.
Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete.
Spooler SubSystem App error - PC Hell! Help!
I am really hoping someone can help with this because i am in PC Hell - spent hours and can't figure this out.
1 Had an HP DeskJet and Adobe Pro 6.0 installed - both worked fine. Used Adobe Pro to make PDFs which I believe uses print spooler to do so
2. Then made the HUGE mistake of installing an old (circa 2003??) Dell A920 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier
3. After Dell installed, it seemed to take over the system:
a) Adobe Pro would no longer make PDFs/print, HP DeskJet was "missing/could not find printer"
b) Tried to uninstall and reinstall Adobe and HP DeskJet using add/remove programs - it would not let me - said Error 1920 Service Print Spooler (Spooler) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. This is baloney as I AM the admin for the computer
4. Finally found a patch/app on the Dell site that (supposedly) uninstalled (fully?) the Dell A920.
5. I am still unable to print/make PDFs
6. When computer starts I am getting errors "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered an error and needs to close....."
7. I have tried bunch of things to fix #s 5 and 6, including checking services.msc to ensure spoolsvc.exe set to auto (it is), adding Spooler as exception in DEP.
8. Also, when I go into services.msc and look at status of spoolsv.exe it shows "Auto" but always says it is stopped. When I manually start it, I later get error pop ups when
trying to open MS Office docs "Microsoft Visual Basic Compile Error in hidden module...."
9. I am at a loss - I see MSFT has an article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 that MAY be applic/be a fix but the process they outline is ridiculously complex.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is driving me nuts and I can't print or make PDFs, which I do dozens of times a day.!!!!
My system runs XP SP2.