Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spoofed at ZDNet?

by joegum / July 5, 2005 9:29 PM PDT

Yesterday, I went to ZDNet toi check out the various downloads. When I went to download, a window opened thst stated that I needed to register with ZDNet in order to download. Later that night, I found that I had a trojan: Trojan horse Proxy.HK listed as process mcm3.exe.

Was I spoofed?
Did I give info aboput myself that I shouldn't have?
I registered my email address this AM to enter this forum. Would I need to re-register in order to access a forum in CNET?

Tha k you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spoofed at ZDNet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spoofed at ZDNet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi joegum
by roddy32 / July 5, 2005 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Spoofed at ZDNet?

I doubt if you were spoofed. I also belong to ZDNET but I don't remember if you have to register to download but you probably do. I also have no idea why you would have gotten a trojan downloading something from them but here is a link where you can contact download support for ZDNET.

If you get no help there, I will forward this thread to admin at CNET and see if Lee can help you. As far as registration at either CNET forums or ZDNET, to the best of my knowledge, one has nothing to do with the other registrationwise but I could be wrong on that. I had to register at BOTH places myself but it was so long ago that I don't remember the details.

Collapse -
Thank you
by joegum / July 6, 2005 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi joegum

You're probably right. I usually use Xandros as my OS. I used Windows for only two days on line, and I got a trojan. Btw, The trojan was Proxy.HK. AVG id'ed the file as mcm3.exe. I tried AVG, AVG after booting in SAFE MODE as ADMIN, AdAware, MS's AntiSpyware Tool, etc. I finally got rid of it (I think) by using WinPatrol and the AVG. (In case anyone else gets this.) My sign up probably was legit.

Thanks, -Joe

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Joe.,
by roddy32 / July 6, 2005 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?