Desktops forum

General discussion

Spontaneous Rebooting

by ihop4no1 / November 1, 2005 4:30 AM PST

Help! Please. I have an eMachines T6212 that keeps spontaneously rebooting. I thought it was a faulty power supply, so I replaced the original 300W with a Coolmax 400W and it still happens.

I bought the machine in May of this year and added two 1 GB sticks of Rosewill 3200 DDR memory, an ABIT 256 MB PCI-express video card and an Audigy 2 Sound Card. As mentioned I just replaced the power supply yesterday (Halloween) and it?s still playing a ?trick? on me.

System specs
MSI MS-7093 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
Two 1 GB of Rosewill unbuffered, non-EEC memory (PC 3200)
Original two 256 MB of memory (PC 3200)
Audigy 2 Sound Blaster card
ABIT RX600 Pro-256 PCIE video card

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spontaneous Rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spontaneous Rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And...
by jackintucson / November 1, 2005 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Spontaneous Rebooting

what are we doing for anti-spyware/virus/malware and registry cleaner. And is you warranty still valid? And what do we use for a firewall? Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Anti-virus, malware, registry, etc.
by ihop4no1 / November 1, 2005 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: And...

Hey Jack, good questions.

I'm currently running Zone Alarm for a firewall (the XP defaulted firewall is turned off). Auto updates are also turned off - I check for Windows updates about once a month and download the critical. I'm using Norton's anti-virus and update and scan at least weekly. I'm also using Spy-bot and Ad-aware and none of these are finding any malware. I used a registry cleaner about 4 months ago and cleaned up a few items. I might try that again. Another post mentioned Yahoo Messenger doing something quirky, which I noticed it did on my laptop. I'll look into that as well. One note: When I turn on the PC, the video card fan makes a grinding noise for about six seconds and then stops. I'm wondering if that's the issue.

Thanks everybody,

G

Collapse -
Absolutely...
by jackintucson / November 1, 2005 11:53 PM PST

The graphics fan may be the ROOT of your problem. This means you are heating up the motherboard to a point where it "faults out" and re-boots. I would get that fixed ASAP before trying to use it any longer. To do so risks the motherboard and the CPU, not to mention a fire hazard and electrical shock hazard. Until then, all bets are off.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Sigh...
by ihop4no1 / November 2, 2005 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Absolutely...

...OK. Thanks Jack. I was afraid of that. OK, I'll have a look at the video card's fan.

Thanks,

G

Collapse -
rebooting
by justfordax / November 1, 2005 8:29 AM PST

This is too weird, my wife's computer is doing the same thing. She doesn't even have to be on it and it will reboot by itself. I think the CPU is getting to hot and shutting down to cool off but I don't know.
Any ideas??

Collapse -
HMMMMM
by Eddiefromalienware / November 1, 2005 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: rebooting

I don't know that can be a possibility, but I don't think that will happen, only if she is doing graphically intensive on a cheap processor like video editing. But then again I don't think it will boot, proabably lag alot. My system has booted for no reason last night while I was asleep, I will see in the morning if it has rebooted.

Collapse -
Adding a word
by Eddiefromalienware / November 1, 2005 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: HMMMMM

I meant to say "work" after the words graphically intensive on my previous reply

Collapse -
Rebooting
by justfordax / November 1, 2005 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Adding a word

Well I did a scandisk because something with Yahoo Messenger was not right, system has not rebooted in the last 2 hours. Good luck with your computers.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My comp reboots at night or did last night
by Eddiefromalienware / November 1, 2005 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Rebooting
Collapse -
TO: Eddiefromalienware
by jackintucson / November 2, 2005 12:02 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?