Laptops forum

General discussion

Spontaneous Powering Off Problem

by k9mama / March 28, 2005 10:47 AM PST

Hello Everyone-
A Toshiba Satellite, 1.6GHz, P4, 256mb, DVD/CD-RW and 30gb HD with XP Pro just powers off without warning. It will come back on if you reboot the system. A new power cord was purchased to see if that was the problem, but it continued anyhow.

Any ideas. It is a far too new of a computer to not be able to get past this point.

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spontaneous Powering Off Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spontaneous Powering Off Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by k9mama / March 28, 2005 10:54 AM PST

Ah, I forgot to mention that this laptop is out of warranty too.

Many thanks... again.

Collapse -
So, did you blow out the vents and such?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: FYI

At one year, it is possible that dust or lint has accomulated or the CPU heatsink has lifted off the CPU.

Have you looked at these 2 areas?

In closing, how about spyware and such. What do you do?

Collapse -
At Risk of Sounding ...
by k9mama / March 28, 2005 11:05 AM PST

Hello and thank you for such a speedy reply.
At the risk of sounding foolish, what is a heat sink and how can I tell if he/she has lifted off of the cpu? Hey, I am a people ER nurse, but I do like to learn all the time. Already did the dust thing, run norton internet security, yahoo anti-spy and spyware blaster at present.

Mil grazie-

Collapse -
Heat sink
by Ryan T / March 28, 2005 1:21 PM PST

The heat sink is a metal, finned attachment that sits on top of the processor to dissipate heat. If it becomes detached, it will not cool the processor efficiently and overheating can occur.

Does the laptop run on battery at all? Because if the battery no longer works, then a loose power connection on the motherboard could be a culprit here.

Collapse -
Si, Signore...
by k9mama / March 29, 2005 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Heat sink

Hello Ryan-
Thank you for the query. It does run on battery so the heat sink looks more probable since I have already done the cleaning routine. How would a heat sink issue be handled?

Mil grazie,

Collapse -
Solo professionista
by Ryan T / March 30, 2005 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Si, Signore...

I would let a repair shop handle it. If you're not absolutely sure of what you're doing, I wouldn't monkey around inside the laptop.

To me though that seems like a very odd problem, and you'd probably feel the heat of the processor. For example, after you've been using it awhile, does it get very hot on top or bottom? Feel near the vents on the back and side.

I'd love for this to be a simple software issue for you . . . that would be easy and cheap to fix . . . but heat may be the problem.

Collapse -
Pictures and more about the procedure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 7:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Mobmeter or Speedfan utilities
by ikenfixit / March 30, 2005 2:14 AM PST

It is possible the issue is not thermal related. Google and download/run Mobmeter or speedfan these should both run on your lappy and are free. Pop in a DVD and run the utility to monitor the temps while doing so. If the CPU temp hits 85 C shut the computer off and look to the heatsink/fan assy to be the culprit. Toshibas have also been sent to us and have and do surface RAM slot solder joints, These can cause all of the above symptoms as well as intermittent boot issues, Video problems and such.. These guys know what they are doing but I'm just trying to offer other solutions if the problem is NOT thermal related. Good luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?