Computer Help forum

General discussion

Spontaneous Internet Explore Launch

by brandtmj / April 13, 2008 6:53 AM PDT

Recently I have run into a problem that I have never seen before. It started spontaneously. I did not download or install new programs. I'm sure I picked up something malicious from a website, but nothing intentional.

That being said, when I am using IE or Firefox a window in IE will spontaneously launch and attempt to load a webpage. These webpages range from ***** singles to some sort of Yahoo page. These launches are spontaneous and I have not found a relationship between what I am doing on the computer and what launches in IE. I do have to have one browser or the other open.

I have run Spybot Search and Destroy and my virus scan. Both did pick up some problems. I "healed" or removed the files, but the spontaneous launch still occurs. I have reinstalled Firefox and rolled by IE updates to no avail.

I am using the latest editions of both IE and Firefox on a Windows XP machine with all the latest updates. If you think hardware is an issue I can provide that information later, but this definitely seems like a software/malware/adware problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spontaneous Internet Explore Launch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spontaneous Internet Explore Launch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For starters
by Jimmy Greystone / April 13, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

For starters, Spybot alone is not even close to enough. Unlike AV programs, malware removers need to be run in great numbers. As many reliable free ones as you can find. You also need to make sure System Restore is switched off, or quite a few little buggers will just come back after you reboot.

If you run Adaware, AVG Anti-Spyware, and Windows Defender, my guess is that you'll come across a large number of things Spybot missed. Sadly, no one anti-spyware program will catch everything.

Collapse -
Unfortunately...
by brandtmj / April 13, 2008 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: For starters

Thank you for the prompt response! I wish I could that your advice fixed the specific problem. While Ad-aware caught more stuff and after a restart and subsequent turning off of System Restore, Spybot and my anti-virus (AVG by the way) picked up a few more things.

The problem is, IE continues to spontaneously launch while using Firefox and spontaneously launch new windows of itself when running by itself.

Collapse -
To stop that....
by Papa Echo / April 13, 2008 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately...

...make IE not be your default browser, so those IE windows won't launch.

You need to install a firewall (Try Zone Alarm Free edition for starters.) Also try a free on-line scan with "Ewido" or "Housecall".

Collapse -
no need any scan
by sathyarobin / April 14, 2008 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: To stop that....

just go and delete ur cookies,browsing history,remove junkfiles then clean ur registry, now install internet explorer8.this only solved this problem in my pc(vista)

Collapse -
That won't do anything
by Jimmy Greystone / April 14, 2008 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: no need any scan

That won't do anything. For one, IE8 is only in beta, and I'm not even sure a public one at that. Second, installing a newer version of some program very very rarely makes the situation anything but much worse. Third, while I applaud the public statements made by the IE developers regarding IE8 regarding support for web standards, it's still far too early to tell if they're also committed to shoring up the horrendous security of Internet Explorer. Frankly, short of ripping out ActiveX, I don't see how they could ever hope to accomplish this in any meaningful way.

Collapse -
RE: To stop that....
by brandtmj / April 14, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: To stop that....

IE is not, and has never been my default browser. While in Firefox, IE SPONTANEOUSLY launches. I do not have to click a link or attempt to open a webpage in any way. Similarly IE8 would not help my problem, my problem would just happen in a fancier version of a program I still do not like.

That being said, I have deleted my cookies multitudes of times along with tempory files etc. I am not very familiar with cleaning a registry. Does anyone know any tips or programs to help with that?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?