HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Spoiled for choice

by Neglected / July 21, 2005 5:04 PM PDT

Right i need help,

Ive been searching for weeks now on what kind of laptop i want. Im looking for something that will last for a while and so am wiling to pay a premuim for newer faster products. I have about $3000 to spend and need to make a decision soon.

The main features i would prefer are:

Pentium m 1.7Ghz+
1Gb RAM
60Gb+ HDD at 5400rpm
802.11 b/g and Bluetooth
resolution greater than 1200x800
the ability to create my own DVD's and CD's
Windows XP Professional
good 2 yr service warranty with accident coverage

I enjoy playing games on my desktop and it would be great to play games on the notebook but its not a major issue.

In a totally superficial point i dont want an ugly machine, this mite sound rediculous but im going to be spending a lot of time working on this notebook so i would prefer it to be designed well i love the design of sony and ibm machines.

There are many laptops that fit my criteria which is why it is difficult to make a decision, this is why i am asking for advice here from people who know what they are talking about and know which companies products are better then others.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spoiled for choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spoiled for choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptop?
by wparker12 / July 21, 2005 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Spoiled for choice

Try the Dell XPS Gen 2.
Might be a bit heavy but great for games too. (NVIDEA GO GeForce 6800 Ultra.
The battery life is bad so you might want to but additional batteries

Collapse -
Thanks
by Neglected / July 21, 2005 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop?

...for the suggestion, i was just looking at that today but decided against it because of the design, in dell's attempt to appeal to gamers they made it seriously ugly in my eyes. Im not a fan of the funky lights on the lid. But i do appreciate the suggestion. Thanks

Collapse -
Gateway M680
by straca / July 22, 2005 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
suggestion
by saurabhs / July 22, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway M680

order this one by phone

THEY MESSED UP THE WEBSITE!!!

Collapse -
Thinkpad T43 or the new Tablet
by Nooorm / July 22, 2005 4:48 AM PDT

You didn't give any hint on what appeals to you aesthetically, so it's hard to suggest a system based on that. I'm a big fan of the Thinkpads and you can get a fully loaded one for well under your $3000 budget.

They are black, which some people like and others find boring. They always get great reliability scores and their service and support is still provided by IBM. Also, all the Thinkpads have full size keyboards that are considered the best feeling of any laptop. It's something reviewers always mention, regardless of the model.

The Thinkpads are in no way appropriate for games, however. So, if that's important look elsewhere.

Collapse -
Just Ordered Gateway M680XL with nVidia 6800
by Create 777 / July 22, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

I have been agonizing over this decision myself ? what laptop to buy?

After weeks of comparing my needs to what is on the market ? I decided on the Gateway M680XL and placed the order on 07/20/2005. I would have preferred to go with Dell, Toshiba, or HP (Compaq). However they did not offer the system that best met my criteria.

I am a consultant in the product development industry and will be using SolidWorks (CAD) heavily. I will also be meeting with clients, and the system needs to look good. It needs to be powerful, yet mobile ? good battery life. The screen needs to be large with good resolution. Cost is important too. I didn?t want to spend $3,000 if I didn?t have to. And the numeric keypad was a high priority as well.

So here are the things that were important factors for my decision:

Processor
Video Card
Screen
Battery Life
Numeric Keypad
Design (looks)
Cost

In my opinion, the Gateway MX680XL scores high on these and is the best choice for what I am looking for.

Here is the configuration that I ordered.

Intel Pentium M Processor 770 (2.13GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2)
1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)
nVidia GeForce Ge6800 256MB Graphics Card
17.0" Ultrabright WSXGA+ TFT Active Matrix (1680 x 1050 res)
60GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive
8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD?R/?RW/CD-RW)
Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion Battery for M360/M460/M680
Integrated 802.11b/g Wireless Networking
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (SP2)
Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 (DWL)

I did a little research on the performance of the Pentium M 770 (2.13GHz). It has a different design than the Intel desktop chips. It is in the same ballpark as the 3.6 Pentium 4 on most bench tests. It does fall behind the 3.6 in floating point calculation speed. But it consumes a LOT less power.

I also purchased the carrying case and extra 12 cell battery as a package deal. Unfortunately, the 12 cell battery extends beyond the system footprint, so I just selected the 8 cell with the system. That way I have the option of either battery - depending on how long I want to work or how cool I want to look.

I configured my system online and saved it. Then I called Gateway and told them I was working with a budget around $2000. They bumped the price down $300. Total price with options and software - $2,222.96 (before tax). A little more than I wanted to spend, but not too bad.

Note the nVidia graphics card option ? yes, I will have to wait for this system. It is due to arrive on 09/09/2005!

Bitter sweet it is.

Collapse -
Toshiba Qosmio G25
by Blazeard / July 22, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

look at it, one of the best out there, and has that unique yet conservative style

Collapse -
been in your shoes
by philip32 / July 22, 2005 11:19 AM PDT

this is a very simple choice that i wish i had help with.people were saying stay with dell,go gateway,go hp,as well as philip go sony hahahahaha.i spent the 3000$ on a Toshiba Qosmio G25.IT,s perfection offering much more then you are looking for.Ive had my g25 for over a month now and it rocks and knocking out the rest.go to cnet reviews and look up...........Toshiba Qosmio G25 Reviews..... and you will see were I as well as the owners of this perfect notebook that has everthing.It,s the best and the ones they say it,s not are lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck with your choice
Sincerly. Philip32

Collapse -
nice
by CS3 / July 22, 2005 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: been in your shoes

seems nice i own a xps gen2 by inspiron it does ok
Intel

Collapse -
I appreciate the suggestions
by Neglected / July 22, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

Thanks for all the speedy responses. Despite all the help ive still not made a decision but its definately narrowed down alot. the Qosmio G25, Sony A790 or, going for value for money over style a dell inspiron 9300 are the main contenders.

Collapse -
Qosmio G25
by wparker12 / July 22, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

Does the Qosmio G25 run Pentium M or 4 ?

Collapse -
the cnet review
by philip32 / July 23, 2005 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Qosmio G25

it runs on a M 2.00Ghz yet what all of the conteders that try to compare to the G25 are missing something as fare as speed .the Qosmio runs a 120GB (60GB+60GB)SERIAL ATA hard disk drives as well as the Qosmio engine that the inavators of notbooks being toshiba put together. some specks
Intel Centrion mobile technolgy
windows XP media center edtion 2005
1024mb(2x512mb)ddr sdram expand up to 2gig
very important spec......17nch diagonal WXGA+ULYIMATE TRUBRITE DISPLAY
very Important 120GB (60GB+60GB) Serial ata hard drives
wifi as well as blue tooth hahahaha I have a connection right now through bluetooth to my directv box watching tv as im typing this in my back yard hahaaha.gaming playing doom 3 is better then the dell xps2 i had them both side by side and sold the xps a few days later.the Qosmio runs with no noise as well as never hot.toshiba also has a dvd supermulti double layer drive that is sweetttttttt.watch a movie with the cd/dvd drive acoustic silncer is great with no drive noise.go to cnet,s review on the Qosmio g25 and take a look at it all.the only thing that the Qosmio lacks is that the batt life only gets you around a 1hr 45 min hmmmm any batt does not last for long so i have always tried to find that simple thing called what is it called.oh a outlet when ever i can anyway.I dont care if my batt lasted for 3 1/2 hours i would still try to find a outlet hahahah

Collapse -
toshiba versus sony
by recaredo / August 1, 2005 6:46 PM PDT

Is the screen quality of the Tosiba g25 qosmio
up to the standards of the Sony Vaio?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.