Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Splitting incoming ADSL line?

by seafox13 / May 25, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

Sharing a broadband connection?
Suppose my Win XP pc is connected to ADSL broadband. My wife buys a laptop and wishes to share the connection, but is not intrested in a home network. I am aware that each machine could be configured to this ISP, and could take turns at using the broadband service by simply disconnecting one from the modem, and connecting the other in its place. Is it possible to obtain an additional IP address from the ISP, so that the laptop, using a separate modem, could be used simultaneously, from a splitter in the ADSL copper line?
I know how to use a router or Win ICS and a ''gateway'', but this a theoretical question with the object of avoiding additional hardware purchase.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Splitting incoming ADSL line?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Splitting incoming ADSL line?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no such thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 9:07 PM PDT

Just get the router and don't tell anyone it's a network.

Heck, I don't even tell some that the Internet is a network.

Ok, I lied a little. At my home, there are 2 DSL lines. They do that in newer tracts for the future. You can activate both here and connect a DSL modem to each. It runs 2X the price of one line. And believe it or not is a network connection to the Internet.

Bob

Collapse -
Hypothetical question!
by seafox13 / May 25, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

Bob, I actually have a home network using a Cat5 crossover, and using MS ICS, and this does all I require.
It is a friend who recently connected to broadband, and her husband complains that she now hogs their computer. So he asked me, if he buys a laptop, could he share the ADSL connection, using a simple splitter, and without buying more hardware. I told him that I had heard of additional IP addresses provided by some ISPs, probably not free.

Collapse -
hypothetical answer...
by Dick White / May 25, 2005 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Hypothetical question!

You've hit the nail on the head - every computer connected to the internet must have a unique IP address, sort of like your home address - without your own house number and street (or rural box), the postal carrier wouldn't know where to deliver your advertisements and bills (now wouldn't that be nice;-) ).

The notion of a simple split cable (or plug-together connector) does not work for internet service. There has to be some means of issuing and controlling unique addresses for each computer. Typically that is managed either by a broadband router device installed immediately behind the cable or ADSL modem, with all the internal computers connected to it; or by software running on the first computer connected to the modem with all the other internal computers connected to that first one (such as your configuration with MS ICS).

Note that some newer ADSL modems have routing capability built into them so the modem by itself can logically support numerous internal computers using just the one public IP address issued by the ISP, but the got'cha is that the modem manufacturers don't put more than one output jack on the back of the modem so you can only connect one physical device to it. The way around that is to buy a simple 4-port ethernet switch ($20) and then the modem connects to one of the switch ports leaving three available physical connections for computers. However, before getting too excited about this simple solution, you must be certain that your friend's ADSL modem is capable of this - if you aren't sure how to diagnose this in the field, just get us the exact brand and model number of the modem and the name of the ISP and somebody here can look up the specs on the manufacturer's website and tell you if that modem is a likely candidate. If not, then the next best solution is a common broadband router.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks ****, will check modem model when possible.
by seafox13 / May 26, 2005 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: hypothetical answer...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.