General discussion

Splitting a monitor output

I would like to split the monitor signal from the computer (15 pin SVGA), with one going to a monitor that is hooked into a KVM switch, the other to an LCD t.v., which has a monitor capable input.

I initially tried this with a monitor Y cable, but the monitor behaved erratically, as if it wanted to turn on and off. The LCD t.v. looked normal, except it flashed some signal "over size" which I haven't yet investigated.

Would a video distribution amplifier, for a 15 pin monitor cable be available for sale? One input, with two outputs? I assume this would solve it.

Al

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Splitting a monitor output
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Splitting a monitor output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a thought

Any single video output going to two monitors will be supplying the same horizonal/vertical refresh and the same resolution. Devices such as you mention will provide some isolation and signal attenuation but I don't see that to solve a problem where two different signals might be necessary. You can run separate video cards or find one with multiple outputs that might suit you better. Hope that helps but I cannot answer your question directly.

- Collapse -
my system...

I forgot this portion....

I'm running an HP a730n, with 512 Mb DRAM, XP.

Could you recommend a video card with dual outputs?

Would the original monitor output run independently from the video card outputs, so if/when using the KVM, the monitor signal from the computer would be visible on the LCD t.v.?

Al

- Collapse -
Dual display video

I won't be able to recommend a specific card. You can do a google search for dual display video to get some ideas of what is available. If your PC motherboard has on board video, you will be limited to PCI cards. It is possible to have more than one in a system. I have a couple Radeon cards with both D-sub and DVI connectors. These will run 2 displays but not at different resolutions.

CNET Forums

Forum Info