Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Splitter causing phone issues?

by Haisook / December 15, 2007 5:41 PM PST

I recently connected to a broadband PPPoE internet network. The system of connection utilizes something called ADSL Splitter. It splits the main phone line into a modem line and a phone line. The problem is that in some rooms although the phone works there is some sort of hissing, clicking, and high-pitched noise.

I've talked to a technician about that and he told me it's because of a defective splitter.

Do you think that this would be the case? or do you think there's something wrong in the circuit of the main phone line itself?

I'd appreciate your opinions.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Splitter causing phone issues?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Splitter causing phone issues?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That noise. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 15, 2007 8:28 PM PST

is the ADSL data signal. Two frequency bandwidths are used in ADSL.

Voice - 300-3400 Hz.

DSL - 80 KHz-1.1 MHz (The combining of several frequency bandwidths into one larger bandwidth is called Frequency Division Multiplexing. This is how DSL works. A frequency range (bandwidth) of 80,000 Hz to 1,100,000 Hz is the carrier frequency. This larger bandwidth is broken down into 256 specific bandwidths, and each one can carry up to 15 bits of data).

The splitter is a simple band pass filter that will block the DSL signal to the phone. If this filter is defective you will hear the data frequencies.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Loud pipes, Longknecks, Loose women - Texas

Collapse -
Thanks for the clarification
by Haisook / December 15, 2007 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: That noise. . .

I've bought a new cheap splitter just to test if the one I have is defective. Now, there's NO phone line whatsoever. I can't make nor receive calls.

So is that one defective as well?

I'll need to buy a decent one I guess.

Collapse -
Also,
by Haisook / December 16, 2007 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: That noise. . .

Why is it showing 28.8 Kbps when I connect although I have a 256 Kbps connection and in bandwidth speed testing it shows ~240 kbps?

Collapse -
(NT) Why is WHAT showing 28.8?
by Coryphaeus / December 16, 2007 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Also,
Collapse -
The connection notification icon (using Win XP SP1)
by Haisook / December 16, 2007 2:59 AM PST

..down in the taskbar.

I'm going out now to buy a new splitter, btw.

Collapse -
I got a new splitter
by Haisook / December 16, 2007 5:28 AM PST

The new splitter seems to have cleared out a lot of noise, although a very low tone is present in another phone which previously sounded perfectly clear.

The only point I'm afraid of is that the circuits are not well-done. The technician was so overconfident, and he clipped off the line to a couple of rooms to make the source line run along the an inner room where he applied the splitter.

Collapse -
It is not only a splitter it is a filter as well
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 3:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Well,
by Haisook / December 16, 2007 4:23 AM PST

It's around 220 kbps for download and 50 kbps for upload, and 110 ms for ping. Is this good for my 256 kbps connection?

Collapse -
(NT) yes
by Dango517 / December 16, 2007 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Well,
Collapse -
Issues are almost gone, but..
by Haisook / December 16, 2007 10:24 PM PST

I've installed a splitter in each telephone set in the apartment, and now there's no noise whatsoever. Crystal clear sound quality.

I just have a few more questions.

1) I have 2 types of phone lines, one with 2 golden pins at each end and the other with 4. Both of them work. What's the difference between them and the 4-pin type better? What type should I attach to the ADSL modem I use?

EDIT: It seems the 4-pin one has caused a conflict in the phone line. I unplugged it and installed a 2-pin one.

2) Using Win XP SP1, in 'Network Connections' there are 2 icons that stand for my current internet connection; one called 'Local Area Connection' and the other is called "My ISP"; the latter is the one I use to intiate the connection.

The question is; which one do I need to enable 'Internet Connection Firewall' in? Currently, I only enabled the one in 'My ISP'.

Thanks for bearing this out with me.
I appreciate it.

Collapse -
It depends on your adapter
by Dango517 / December 17, 2007 12:14 AM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wire_circuit

Full duplex is used with four pair. Half duplex for 2 pair. More then likely you have half duplex. Check with your ISP to be certain. Your ethernet adapter might also only work with half duplex check the manufactures web site to be sure.

Use the ISP connection Icon unless you have more then one computer at home. LANs are for more then one computer on a local area network (LAN). If you had a computer, your wife had a computer, your kids or maybe parents had separate computers or possibly you used a laptop to do work from home then you might have more then one computer at home all working together this would be called a LAN. In short, more then one computer work on a home network would be a LAN.

Note: Adapter should be up dated every 6 months or so. To do this check the manufactures web site. These are not up dated well through automatic up dates so check for them yourself and down load them manually. This is all so true of audio and video drivers.
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks a lot!
by Haisook / December 17, 2007 4:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Uh, nope. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 17, 2007 7:21 AM PST

A four pin RJ-11 (standard telephone mounting cord), uses the two center pins, pins 2-3, for line one. Pins 1-4 are for line two. This is used in a two-line telephone. Dates back about 40 years or more, with the advent of the "RJ" type jacks. A two-pin cord will work with a single line phone. Note the positions of the two and four pins.

In some apartments, the wall jack may have had a second line wired to the pins 1-4 in the wall outlet. These can pick up noise, that's why the two pin cord is quiet.

Wayne (telephone man)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Loud pipes, Longknecks, Loose women - Texas

Collapse -
Do me a favor rewrite this will ya
by Dango517 / December 17, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Uh, nope. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wire_circuit

He's talking about 2 pair and 4 pair wire. I don't know what he has running to his house. Hell he might have T1 lines for all I know. I do know that my 10/100/1000 D-Link DGE 530T adapter has full duplex capabilities. I do have some limited phone experience from back in the Dimension, Horizon, Merlin days but I'm more then a little rusty I'm sure you could help him more so go for it.
Collapse -
That article is correct. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 17, 2007 8:11 PM PST

But in residential areas, the two pair mounting cord was used for just that, two lines. I installed my share of 4-wire data circuits, and T-1 is such a circuit. I'm not saying that there may have been a data circuit in that apartment, but in all likely hood, it was just for two voice lines.

Ahhhhh, Dimensions and Horizons. Excellent machines. Was the first PBX to offer digital internal switching, PCM, just like T-carrier.

Wayne

Collapse -
Thanks Wayne
by Dango517 / December 18, 2007 12:50 AM PST

You aren't in Ohio are you? I knew a telephone guy once with the name Wayne.

I found this the other day you might like it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU

Thanks Wayne you telephone people do good work.

Collapse -
(NT) ;-)
by Coryphaeus / December 18, 2007 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Wayne

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!