Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Spell checker

by granpama / July 16, 2006 2:45 AM PDT

I am a notoriously bad speller, so therfore I would dearly love to install Spell Checker or a generic form of Spell Checker on my computer. HOW!!! Any information would be most appreciated.
I have Windows XP. My provider is Bellsouth, and I am using DSL.
(I should have paid more attention in my High School english classes!!!)

babenfla

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spell checker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spell checker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For which program?
by John.Wilkinson / July 16, 2006 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Spell checker

There are a lot of spell checkers available, many of which are free, but they are usually designed for a specific program...Internet Explorer, Firefox, Notepad, etc. To get started, the best freebie for Internet Explorer is IESpell, while SpellBound Development is the best extension for Firefox.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
As John Indicates...
by Edward ODaniel / July 16, 2006 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Spell checker

the application you intend to use the checker with is rather important.

The two options he suggested work well for the browsers but another slightly more "All Purpose" tool is the venerable "All Purpose Spell
Checker" by Palware. Palware used to sell it as shareware but when they decided to move on and quit supporting it they released it as freeware. While their site is no longer up it can be found several places such as http://www.buzzys.net/spellcheck.html (link to download is near the top of the page) where he does a pretty good job explaining it.

Other sources for it can be found here:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22all+purpose+spell+checker%22

Another option that is pretty "All Purpose" is TinySpell which runs in the background and monitors keystrokes. If you make a typo it beeps at you allowing you to select the word you meant to spell.
http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/

Collapse -
Spell Checker
by granpama / July 16, 2006 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: As John Indicates...

I am extremely grateful to both of you: John Wilkinson and Edward O'Daniel, for your most valuable information. I will research and examine all your suggestions and choose the one that will most fit my criteria.
Again, thank you so much not only for the information, but for the speed in which you answered my call for help.
Larry granpama

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?