Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Speed upgrades??

by mej / March 26, 2005 6:09 AM PST

I went to crucial.com for analysis on memory upgrade. DEtermined I now have two empty slots (one installed with 128 mb with a total available of 384 (Running a Gateway Tabor 2 motherboard). I would like to install to 128 modules but I have a concern about my BIOS--(Intel 4W4SBOXO.15A.0013.PO8) Don't know if I have the right info but crucial.com said I had 450 MHz with a front side bus speed of 100MHz. Not sure what front side bus speed is and if I should upgrade that (if possible) at the same time. Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speed upgrades??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speed upgrades??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by ChuckM / March 26, 2005 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: Speed upgrades??

upgrade the front side bus without replacing the motherboard. You can upgrade your memory with 2-128 Mb modules to get your total to 384 Mb. I have the same system. You need PC100 modules.

Chuck

Collapse -
Thanks, but new??
by mej / March 27, 2005 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: You can't

Does that mean that a PC100 module is always going to be slower (regardless of memory stick) than a 200MHz? I'm learning so I ask a lot of questions. Thanks

Collapse -
Ram will only run
by ChuckM / March 27, 2005 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but new??

as fast as the bus. You will not gain any overall system speed by adding ram faster than the bus, in fact your system MAY not run. What ram does, it increases the data transfer between the CPU and harddrive.

Collapse -
Adding RAM ...
by Kees Bakker / March 27, 2005 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but new??

of the right kind (Chuck's post is very helpful on that) from 128 to 256 or 284 wouldn't be bad investment of your money probably, unless you plan to buy a totally new computer in the near future.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.