HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

speed of video capture for Mini DV

by apinballwizard / January 30, 2006 6:36 AM PST

I've been capturing video from my old Sony Analog 8mm and then burning to DVD using Sonic MYDVD with acceptable results (not doing any fancy editing, etc.)

My question is this: Assuming I use a firewire connection, does Mini DV video transfer to a PC in real time (1 hr tape time takes 1 hr to capture) like my analog cam?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: speed of video capture for Mini DV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: speed of video capture for Mini DV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 6:47 AM PST
Collapse -
then what is the big deal
by apinballwizard / January 31, 2006 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Yes.

So if capturing takes the same time, what is the big deal about DV? Is there a significant tech reason that I should replace a functional (albeit analog) camcorder?

Collapse -
mini-dv
by drhiberd / January 31, 2006 1:41 AM PST

You just said it. It is digital, not analog.

Collapse -
digital vs analog
by glennlee / January 31, 2006 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: mini-dv

To get a good demonstration of the difference between analog and digital, compare the picture on a good plasma TV of analog material (via VHS or standard cable) with digital HDTV on cable, satellite, or dvd. The difference is stunning when you see them side by side.

Collapse -
digital
by drhiberd / January 31, 2006 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: digital vs analog

Now, lets not confuse the poor guy here. Digital does not mean HD. Mini-dv is wonderful digital quality video.... much, much better than analog.
HD is a whole different ball game. The least expensive one out is $1500.

Collapse -
MY VHS is HD...
by Dan Filice / January 31, 2006 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: digital

..."Horrible Definition." Happy

Collapse -
Careful! Some one will soon appear thinking that VHS really
by Kiddpeat / January 31, 2006 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: MY VHS is HD...

IS hd. Groan.

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Remeber was 260 lines was good??? John
by jcrobso / February 1, 2006 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: MY VHS is HD...
Collapse -
ok
by apinballwizard / February 1, 2006 7:59 AM PST

So would I be able to see a REALLY big resolution difference between DV and Analog on a standard TV or will the difference become more apparent on a more advanced display (plasma, etc.)

Also, like my original question alluded to, my main interest is in transfering video to PC quickly. Would a Hard Drive camcorder facilitate a "faster than real time" transfer? I just hate having to sit around for an hour or two waiting for a 1-2 hour tape to transfer.

Collapse -
Gain and loss.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: ok

From what I've seen the hard disk models can transfer faster but the compression knocks the video quality down to less than DV.

Bob

Collapse -
misplaced entusiasm
by glennlee / January 31, 2006 10:00 AM PST

Okay, I accept the criticism. The comparison should be bewtween Hi 8 footage and miniDV footage properly processed by firewire capture and dvd played on a standard TV. I have just acquired a Sony HC 32 miniDv and have been processing old 8mm footage and recent miniDV footage and viewing the difference on a standard TV. There is a distinct differce in favor of miniDV. Its like comparing dvd clarity and VHS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.