TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Specific question about Panasonic TH-50PZ800U or PDP-5020FD

i've been looking everywhere for the answer to this question because apparently it's a sticking point for my mother, who the TV will be for.

she's pretty much narrowed it down to these 2, and probably prefers the Panasonic (based on its superior CNET review / cheaper price).

my question is this: what is the measurement from the very BACK of the television to the FRONT EDGE of the stand?

in short, she's putting the TV on a counter with bookshelves behind it that stick out, leaving very little depth (about 10.25 inches from the shelves to the edge of the counter).

the only info i can get is how deep the entire stand is, which doesn't help, and all the models in the store are on the wall so there's no way to measure.

also would appreciate other advice and/or opinions about the 2 models.. thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Specific question about Panasonic TH-50PZ800U or PDP-5020FD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Specific question about Panasonic TH-50PZ800U or PDP-5020FD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why the shelves, if...

In reply to: Specific question about Panasonic TH-50PZ800U or PDP-5020FD

there won't be any books? Just trying to visualize what's going on, hehe.

I have a 50" Panasonic but not the 800 model and the base on that is about 18". So maybe going to the store and measure it might be a good idea.

Collapse -
thanks, but...

In reply to: Why the shelves, if...

i know it's hard to visualize... the shelves are fixed on the wall, and they go all the way to ceiling, so the TV will only cover the first couple.

unfortunately the depth of the base is not what i need - i need the length from the back of TV to the front edge of the base. for example, the entire base is 18" but it's probably only 10 or 11 inches from the edge of the base to where the TV will hit against the shelves.

does this make sense? it's so frustrating not to be able to get this measurement ahead of time. but when i order it for her, and she installs the base, if it hangs over the side she's not going to want it.

and as i said... in all the stores i've been to, they are on display on a wall (not on the stand).

can anybody help?

Collapse -
~9.85"

In reply to: thanks, but...

My calculations bring it very close to 10" (~9.85") from the back of the TV to the front of the stand, provided the TV is very muc centered above the stand. YMMV. FWIW, I used the specs in the online PDF. Here's the user guide link (see page 53)-

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PZ800U.PDF

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: ~9.85"

pedro thank you very much. my concern is that the TV won't be exactly centered over the stand as you guessed.... i know it definitely wasn't on our last panasonic TV (the tv was further to the back of the stand than the front... so the stand ended up being just a few centimeters from the edge).

i will keep trying to find someone who actually owns the set who can break out a ruler for me. just posted on AVS asking the same question... thanks!

Collapse -
my math is probably off a little ;)...

In reply to: thanks

I think you may be correct looking at their graphic a second time. Not sure if it's necessarily centered. OTOH, all three panel sizes (42/46/50) are 4.1" deep. If the rear distance they cite is measured from the back of the stand, you wouldn't need to have it centered to calculate the distance you need IMO. That puts it at ~8" (4.1 + 3.9").

hth,
Pedro- who will probably join you by buying a 46" Panny this Xmas Wink

Collapse -
Pioneer

In reply to: Specific question about Panasonic TH-50PZ800U or PDP-5020FD

The Pioneer has my vote. It is slimmer, has greater contrast and SDTV processing, as well as HDTV processing (less jaggies/color banding). It looks better (minimalist approach w/removeable speaker), and behaves itself better in different lighting situations.

If you put both televisions in the dark, the superior black levels of the Pioneer show through. If you put both sets in the light, the Panasonic's black levels turn to grey (insufficient anti-glare treatment), whilst the Pioneer's remain as solid as if the room were still dark.

Pioneer's new GUI manu is easier to navigate and looks more exciting than Panasonic's 'blah' menu. Though the Panasonic is THX-certified, the Pioneer looks way better, especially after calibrating both sets.

I first bothered to compare the Panasonic to the Pioneer PDP-5010FD, the last-gen plasma. The Pioneer blew away the Panasonioc in every respect (BTW, 2799.99 for the PDP-5010FD at your local Best Buy right now). I did it with the 5020 just for fun, and of course, the Pioneer won. Greyscaling, color accuracy, test discs, black levels, motion-adaptive noise reduction... the list goes on, the Pioneers are simply superior televisions to the Panasonics. But the Panasonics are usually a good value. But in this case, I would most definitely go with the Pioneer.

Good Luck-

-N.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.