Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Speaking of Tom DeLay...

by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 3:14 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaking of Tom DeLay...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaking of Tom DeLay...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your first link was to a piece about global warming
by Josh K / April 6, 2005 3:23 AM PDT

Global Warming + Tom DeLay = even more hot air?

I'm sure the payouts to his wife and daughter were perfectly legitimate and weren't an attempt to dodge or skirt any laws. To think otherwise would be..........well, you know.

Wink

Collapse -
Posting the wrong
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just be more careful next time, Benedict!
by Josh K / April 6, 2005 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Posting the wrong
"Mrs. DeLay provides big picture, long-term strategic guidance and helps with personnel decisions."

Yeah, my wife does that too.

Mischief
Collapse -
She makes sure you
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

don't end up with a pretty secretary?

Just don't forget to give her the half a million dollars!

Dan

Collapse -
Dan, Delay has six months at most before joining Jim Wright
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

and Newt in the "leaders forced out of the House" club. Btw, current polls in his district say Delay would lose to the guy he barely beat last time...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
They're down in Texas now.
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 5:19 AM PDT

Did you apply to get on '***** Eye for the Straight Guy'?

Dan

Collapse -
Are you...
by Dick White / April 6, 2005 6:15 AM PDT

casting aspersions on DK's sartorial taste? (oh, that's right, we saw it when he posted his vacation pictures, didn't we...) Devil

dw

Collapse -
OK, Guys
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you...

Be honest. Who among us could not benefit from a little time with the Fab 5?

Dan

Collapse -
I know I could!
by Josh K / April 6, 2005 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, Guys

Those guys ROCK. In fact we've been meaning to try some of Ted's recipes. You can find them at the QE website. I don't generally like the modern-style furniture that Thom seems to prefer, but it always looks so good in the houses/apartments he puts it in. They're all really good at what they do, and Carson is so over the top that it's hard not to like him.

Collapse -
Maureen Dowd on 'the Passion of the Tom.'
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 8, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
First Republican Representative calls for resignation
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 11, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
Two in GOP Take Aim at DeLay

>> The near-solid wall of public support that Republicans have displayed for beleaguered House Majority Leader Tom DeLay began to crack Sunday, with a Senate leader saying the Texas Republican needed to "lay out what he did and why he did it" and a House member (From CT, btw) calling on him to step down from his leadership post. <<

Six months may have been too high an estimate...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
More questions about inappropriate travel, etc.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 24, 2005 2:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why stop there? Let's talk Reid...
by Edward ODaniel / April 24, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

?So Pervasive Are The Ties Among Reid, Members Of His Family And Nevada?s Leading Industries And Institutions That It?s Difficult To Find A Significant Field In Which Such A Relationship Does Not Exist.? (Chuck Neubauer and Richard T. Cooper, ?In Nevada, The Name To Know Is Reid,? Los Angeles Times, 6/23/03)
http://www.westlx.org/assets/HarryReid.pdf

Or possibly other documented ethics problems he, Harry Reid, has such as:
Sen. Harry Reid's, D-Nev., arrogantly racist condemnation of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is but the latest racial tinged hate speech directed at conservative blacks by liberal Democrats. His Uncle Bull Connors and his Uncle Orval Faubus must be proud of him. (interesting but not surprising that Reid and DaveK "think" <and I use the term loosely> much alike)

Or how about Pelosi and her more numerous than any other Congress Critter's tax payer and lobby funded excursions?
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi helped secure $3 million last year for a nonprofit transportation-research organization whose president gave money to her political action committee as the group was paying for a European trip for one of her policy advisers.

Or maybe Boxer's trips?
Between January 2000 and May 2004, private and nonprofit organizations spent about $14.4 million to send members of the House and Senate on more than 4,800 trips, according to an analysis of congressional travel disclosure forms by Medill News Service in partnership with American Public Media's Marketplace program and American RadioWorks.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., reported 13 trips totaling $60,234. Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., reported accepting $584 total in travel expenses for three trips; however, each senator had one trip that she reported on annual financial disclosure forms, which do not require senators to state costs of the trips. Rep. Bob Filner, D-Chula Vista, reported eight privately sponsored trips, worth more than $7,000 in travel, lodging and food, from 2000 to 2003. Filner did not travel in 2004, according to records filed with the House Legislative Resource Center.

Keep up the windmill tilting because it is fun to watch.

http://www.jerusalemposts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=75861

LA TIMES - At least 17 senators and 11 members of the House have children, spouses or other close relatives who lobby or work as consultants, most in Washington, according to lobbyist reports, financial-disclosure forms and other state and federal records. Many are paid by clients who count on the related lawmaker for support.

But Harry Reid is in a class by himself. One of his sons and his son-in-law lobby in Washington for companies, trade groups and municipalities seeking Reid's help in the Senate. A second son has lobbied in Nevada for some of those same interests, and a third has represented a couple of them as a litigator.

In the last four years alone, their firms have collected more than $2 million in lobbying fees from special interests that were represented by the kids and helped by the senator in Washington. So pervasive are the ties among Reid, members of his family and Nevada's leading industries and institutions that it's difficult to find a significant field in which such a relationship does not exist.

New York Democratic Rep. Tim Bishop: Daughter Molly was paid $46,995 as his 2004 campaign's finance director.

Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich.: Wife Laurie Stupak earned about $36,000 annually the past two years as the finance director for her husband's campaign.

In addition, Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) paid her son, a lawyer, $130,000 over four years to run her political action committee, according to her campaign filings.

Connecticut Democratic Sen. Joe Lieberman: Son Matthew received about $34,000 and daughter Rebecca about $36,000 for working on the senator's 2004 presidential campaign.

There are Republicans listed there too but I have listed the Democrats as they are the ones calling such "unethical".

Hypocrite seems to be interchangably spelled Democrat.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?