PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Speakers

This may seem like a dumb question to all of you, but I was wondering if its possible to hook up speakers from a stereo to a computer. Possibly by splicing wires to a jack for the computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Speakers

In reply to: Speakers

yes

Collapse -
Re: Speakers

In reply to: Re: Speakers

Well thanks for the answer but how? What kind of jack would I need? Where can I get one? Which wires conect to which?

Collapse -
A little more info

In reply to: Re: Speakers

The sound card does not have enough output power to drive speakers directly.[a few yeaers ago some had limited power amplifiers]. Most current speakers are "Amplified" speakers. Simply means that they have an audio power amplifier built in.

If your stereo sytem has jacks for an AUX input [probably RCA jack type] you would simply need a cable that has a jack for the Line Out from the sound card and whatever type connectors the AUX input to the stereo takes.

The audio industry has standardized the signal levels that Line in/Line out. and Aux inputs have or can handle.

If your "Stereo" is a simple boom box, then you need to do much more.

Let us know more about your stereo.

Collapse -
m Re: A little more info

In reply to: A little more info

Therein lies the problem, as I have only speakers from a stereo, and I was hoping to turn my computer into a sort of stereo.

Collapse -
sorry, not enough

In reply to: m Re: A little more info

sorry, you'll need to get probably a stereo mini to rca cable and run from line out (usually black) jack to aux in of an amplifier, then out to the speakers.

to avoid buying an amp, you can just get some basic free-standing altec lansing or sony computer speakers for cheap, altho my altec lansing ac adaptor created line noise.

or spend your money on some nice headphones. -- fj

Collapse -
You could tru oit

In reply to: m Re: A little more info

but it is unlikely that the volume would be lous enough.

Simply take a cable for the line out of the sound card [Radio Shack] cut the other end off and attach a pair of wires to each speaker, possibly the shield is common to both speakers.

The problem is that the source impedance of the line out is about 1000 Ohms while the speakers are 4 Ohms or less. Maximum power transfer occurs when source impedance equals the load impedance, thus very little hope.

You can buy a set of powered speakers at Wal-Mart for $15 and have your stereo. $25 for a pair with a "sub woofer" [more terminology than "woofer" LOL]

Collapse -
Re: You could tru oit

In reply to: You could tru oit

Awesome. Thanks for the ideas.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.