TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Speaker size Setting options : Large or Small ?

by vinci92f / January 1, 2007 4:35 AM PST

I just bought a HTR-5960 audio receiver from YAMAHA and I'm a little bit disapointed about speaker setting options. There's only 2 options : "Large" or "Small" - I got large speakers (40hz - 20khz) and a small center speaker (100hz - 23khz). The problem come from my surround speakers : 55hz - 20kz ; I presume that we're talking about middle range speakers.

So is there a way to set those speakers to "Normal" ? If not, what should I do ? - Large or small ? - If I chose "Large", I'm afraid of busting those speakers with a high volume level.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaker size Setting options : Large or Small ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaker size Setting options : Large or Small ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WHAT KIND OF SPEAKERS DO YOU OWN AND ARE THEY MATCHED?
by stewart norrie / January 1, 2007 7:47 AM PST

Usually if you have a subwoffer you set the speakers to small If your speakers a big mamas then large. need more information steweee

Collapse -
small
by jostenmeat / January 1, 2007 7:50 AM PST

Well then, because of your limitations, and the fact that the center is low only to 100hz, and surround to 55hz, go small. I think you know its a x-over thing. See what the x-over is at small setting I guess. No other way to adjust x-over?

Collapse -
thanks
by vinci92f / January 1, 2007 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: small

Thank you guys for your help - whatever, I solved the problem easly with a crossoverver adjustement. After a test, I realized that my center speaker works, anyways, independently from any kind of LFE or bass sound under 100 hz, allowing me, without any risq for them, to down the surround speakers crossover level from 100 hz to 60 hz.

Collapse -
in short
by vinci92f / January 1, 2007 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

in short, I protected my surround speakers by defining them as "Small" speakers by leaving them a relatively large specrum.

Collapse -
If you have a sub
by HTHMAN / January 1, 2007 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: in short

Set your speakers to small. You will get a little better imaging in most cases. If you have no sub, you must set them to large or the bass will be cut off at the frequence that the sub should take over.

Collapse -
SURROUND EXPERIMENT #3
by waveacle / July 13, 2007 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: If you have a sub

HI HTHMAN,YOU SEEM TO NO A LITTLE BIT ABOUT S.S. I HAVE L.R.BETA 50 INFINITYS FRONT,2 BETA 20 BOOKSHELF FOR L&R BACK,A KLIPSCH CENTER AND L&R SIDE BIC ACOUSTECH HT-63 ON THE WAY,A SINGLE ENCLOSER HAS 3 DRIVERS,A HIGH FREQ. HORN IS ANGLED ABOUT 30 DEGREES AWAY FIRING ACROSS VEIWING AREA, THE WOOFER IS FACING MY EARS AND A 7" PASSIVE WOOFER ON THE SIDE FACING TO THE BACK,THE HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE ON THE HORN DICTATES A FOWARD FIRING ALIGNMENT FOR CINEMA AND JUST FLIP THEM OVER FOR MUSIC SO THE HIGHS REFLECT OFF THE BACK WALLS AND GIVE A MORE SPATIAL EFFECT! SET ALL TOO LG,WHAT DO U THINK? A KINDA UNIQUE SOUND FIELD ON MOVIES,MUSIC TOO IF I INVERT THE SIDE ENCLOSERS I THINK! A 7.1 SET UP RETUNED FOR GUEST AT A SIDE COUCH,HOPE THIS WORKS OK!I CAN ADJUST THE SIDE SPKRS ANGLE ALOT,HOW DIRECTIONAL ARE THE HORNS,I GUESS WILL SEE MONDAY,SHIPPING DUE THEN!OH I WONDER HOW LONG MY JBL SUB WILL LAST,IT STAYS ON 24/7 HADNT CUT OFF IN 2YRS.BOUGHT IN 1992, JEZ THAT MAKES 15YRS.

Collapse -
Horns
by HTHMAN / July 14, 2007 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: SURROUND EXPERIMENT #3

Had some horn tweeters back in the 70s and they could be very directional. If I remember correctly, if you oriented the horns vertically, you got a wider dispersion than if you set then horizontally.

As far as the sound. It all depends on how it sounds in your environment. It is all theoretical until it is sitting in your house.

Collapse -
the acoustech horns did work out!
by waveacle / July 19, 2007 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Horns

yea the horn tweeters in the ht-63 were not overbrite for music facing 30 degrees forward in the side surround position! and cinema is great in all respects as a 96 db at 1 meter gives a high dynamic impact!have you noticed at times you can barely here a quiet conversation and adjust the volume up? I have a klipsch center now and its better now! engineers must do this i guess for sonic impact,when action comes your speakers have to be good,my surround are all set to lg.I have L&R BETA 50S-2 BETA 20S ON REAR,SIDES ARE HT-63,KLIPSCH C-2 CENTER IS WEAKEST LINK AT 100WATTS,MY 12YR OLD JBL 10" 100 WATT SUB HAS NEVER BEEN WIDE OPEN BUT SHAKES THE WHOLE HOUSE! OH I POWER THIS CHORUS W/PIONEER VSX 1016TXV,THE OPPO 761H DVD PLAYER UPCONVERTS DVDS TO 720P REAL NICELY TOO,I USE OPTICAL CABLES FROM STB AND DVD PLAYER.HAVENT TRIED DIGITAL COAX SO I DONT NO IF THAT MAY BE BETTER? I LUV MUSIC ON THIS SYSTEM TOO,ALOT!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?