TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Speaker Selectors

by Larry Pigeon / April 21, 2006 1:59 PM PDT

I have six pairs of speakers in different rooms and outside. Each pair has a volume control in that room. The selector I currently have is basically a bar splitter receiving input from the receiver via one speaker wire. It was installed by a flake several years ago and has never worked right. The receiver (an older 75w Denon) often cuts off when trying to push all six pairs. I am going to buy a new receiver (Denon 2807) that has multi zine capabilities and want to replace the strip with a selector and possibly new volume controls for each room. I have seen seen selectors by Niles and Monster. Anyone have any experience in this area.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaker Selectors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaker Selectors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speaker Selectors
by jcrobso / April 24, 2006 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaker Selectors

Six speakers in paralle would be a load of 1.5 Ohms, most HT recivers are desinged for 8 Ohms.
What I did was to keep the old reciver and split the speaker load between the two amps. I put a Y cable to split the CD player feed.
There are Pro amps that will drive a 1 Ohm load but they are BIG $$$$$.
Most Recivers that have two speaker outputs put the speakers in series when both speakers are on, this make the load 16 Ohms.
The seletcor will have be able to maintain a 4~8 Ohm load on the amp, thay may have resistors that switched in and out to do this. John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by Larry Pigeon / April 25, 2006 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaker Selectors

The Y is something I will keep in mind.This is what I have been able to learn reading the product specs. The Monster & Niles selectors have impedence stabilization and impedence magnification respectively. This is supposed to protect the amp/receiver fron the ohm drop. The Niles states that you must have an amp capable of a 4 ohm load. The Niles cost about twice as mush as the Monster. But here is the kicker. The Monster unit states it is capable of 150w. The niles 100w (10W less than the Denon 2807). The Niles hi power selector for over 100w cost more than many receivers. So here are my questions.

1. Are most better new receivers capable of a 4 0hm load? It is not mentioned in the specs.

2. Is the extra 10 watts critical to the Niles unit at normal listening volumes?

3. Are Monster products good products?I have read a lot that their cables are overpriced. Thier selector seems to cover all my bases better.

Collapse -
Niles gets my vote.
by kena10 / April 26, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks John

They have had the speaker selector switches for years and I've never heard of anyone having any problems with them. I'm not too familiar with the Monster switchers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?