TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Speaker Package Recommendation

Just wondering if anyone out there has a an 840 watt 7.1 receiver and could recommend a good surround sound speaker package. Not looking to spend more than around $800.00 including sub-woofer, 4 sat speakers and center speaker.
Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaker Package Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaker Package Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thare many good speakers on the market.

In reply to: Speaker Package Recommendation

I will list some of the brands I like. JBL, Infinity, Polk Audio, Klisph, Boston Acoustics and Tannoy. There are many others also with packages that will fit you budget and give you very good sound.
Take some of your CDs and go to stores and spend 2~3 hours at a time listing to speakers. Do this for a couple of days then at the end pick the speakers that you like the best. John

Collapse -
LET YOUR EARS DO THE BUYING

In reply to: Thare many good speakers on the market.

Yess take along your favorite c.d. and go to every demo room you can find close your eyes. I spent over 6 months went all over the s.f. Bay area, and finally fell in love with the Atlantic Technology 4200 system. Problem everyone has small differences in ther hearing So you want what sounds best for you Also the above speakers are awsome also good luck and post back stewee

Collapse -
I heartily agree with John & Stewee

In reply to: Thare many good speakers on the market.

We've been through this ourselves. (More than once because we have a few years on us.)

Component specs change annually. Components depreciate quickly (like cars.) Speakers do evolve over the years, but speakers last longer with value. A lot of acoustic engineering variations have been tried over time. Really appropriate speakers sound satisfaction lasts nearly forever. I have a couple speakers 43 years old & won't part with them.

Just a couple of things have prevented many more classic aged speakers have prevented more of them still being around. Two weak spots were paper diaphragms & the glue/adhesive/bonding agents used around the perimeter of those diaphragms. Technology has advanced in those areas with newer materials hopefully better in the long haul.

Your tight budget may spread you too thin. Perhaps a phase in starting with 2.1 then to 5.1 is appropriate. Speaker choices with considerable compromises will just lead to buying fever to replace in relatively short time.

Speakers are the most individual choice of an A/V package. I strongly urge investing listening time as John mentions. Use a couple very familiar CDs - at least one largely with vocals. Voices - you know how they should sound. Starwars type effects are - duh - synthetic.

I might add Paradigm & NHT brands. I love both of them. The speaker business is rather easy to get into. Probably 500 brands are around. Must be 80% or so use speakers/drivers that you & I can buy online from the big makers of the "innerds." I could list 50 fine speaker lines if willing to hunt & peck that much. Hope you are in an area with population enough to be able to audition several fine lines.

One perfect speaker? Of course not. Even thought this is such a personal choice, I must mention Aperion & Axiom as highly reviewed direct to customermakers/sellers. They offer 30 day in-home listening periods.

Mass market component makers have their branded speakers, but they are often regarded as just afterthoughts by many other than those sellers. This choice is worthwhile investing personal time with. With major makers, just to name JBL for one - picking 2.1 1st then adding on from within the same series can be done for years. Judicious choices won't be replaced in short time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.