Computer Help forum

General discussion

Speaker help...

by OmegaTomato / July 15, 2005 1:26 AM PDT

I'm posting this in this forum a- because I'm new, b- I wasn't finding any answers anywhere else.
Now then, my questions will seem quite trivial but I've asked other people that have had no idea what's wrong. I'll start with my most stupid and easy to answer questions and just go from there.
1- does Internet Explorer and FIreFox not support 5.1 surround sound? I recently bought a new set of Logitech X-530 speakers and am having some trouble with them. On the internet only the front speakers work. I've noticed that I can make any of the speakers work by plugging that plug into the green "audio out" spot. My sound card is a RealTek 97'AC (PCI) and is 6 speaker capable. I'm wondering why they're not working.
2- when I open the Multi Channel Audio Configuration window, it says that none of my speakers are hooked up coorectly (when I go to Connector Sensing and press Start), yet when I go to "Speaker Test" all of the speakers make sound.
Update- after shutting down the computer overnight, the computer seems to have changed so that it believes that it can only have 2 speakers. I don't know what changed to make that happen. There was a point when things like Windows Media Player and DivX could use all 5 of my speakers and the subwoofer. I did update windows using the windows update.
3- I'm being told that things are not hooked up correctly when (I believe) they are. They're hooked up correctly according the the X-530's manuel, the computer's manuel, the Multi-Channel Audio Configurer suggestion, and common sense.
Green to front (green)
Orange to mic in (red)
Black to line in (blue)
But just in case, I've tried all the different possible hook ups with no change.
Any help would be awesome.

My system specs are as follows

AMD 64 3500+
1 GB RAM
250 GB Hard Drive
RealTek AC'97 Audio Card (PCI)
X700 Pro 256 MB graphics card
I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2 Media Center Edition

Anything else you need to know?

Note I've updated all the drivers that I could think of, it's not that.

If necessary I may be able to use the system restore in windows to go back to where all 6 speakers worked on the speaker test part but not the speaker connectivity part.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaker help...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaker help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
5.1 Sound
by Stan Chambers / July 15, 2005 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaker help...

Try this. Start/Control Panel/Sound and Audio/
At the bottom of the card under speaker settings, click the Advanced button. Next check to see what setting are for your machine. If desktop speaker, click the drop down menu and change to 5.1, the click Apply, OK.
Hope this helps

Collapse -
Not quite...
by OmegaTomato / July 15, 2005 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: 5.1 Sound

Unfortunately, I've had the speaker setting to 5.1 the entire time, so it's not that. But thanks for the effort. Anyone else want to try? Also, another problem has come up. Every time I start up my computer, I have to change what USB slot the cable going from my CyberPower battery backup goes to, otherwise the computer can't find it and give me the normal information (like battery left, voltage, any spikes recently, etc.).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!