HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Speaker Choice

by onwisc / July 17, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

I would love some input on my speaker dilemma. First, I need a small footprint. My "home theatre" will actually be my family room which opens on kitchen, dining room, hallway, i.e. open floor plan and horrible acoustics. That being said, I'm trying to decide between the KEF 3005,Mirage Nanosat Prestige, ORB Mod2 or People's Choice or Definitive Tech ProCinema 800. The receiver will either be a Denon 2808 (or 988, CC serious sale) or Onkyo 805.

Any insight will be much appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speaker Choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speaker Choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
EASY CHOICE
by cristenc-gmail-22365481289113526477976298604035 / July 18, 2008 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaker Choice

SIMPLE,IF YOU LIKE MOVIES/MUSIC LOUD GO FOR THE DEF TECH.
BUT THE KEF`S ARE MORE ACURATE, NEUTRAL WITH BETTER OVERALL TONALITY AND IMAGING MORE SUITED FOR MUSIC THAN MOVIES.
IF YOU WILL MAINLY USE THE SYSTEM FOR MOVIES, THE IMPACT AND LOW BASS PERFORMANCE OF THE DEF TECHS CAN ONLY BE BEAT WITH A LARGER SUB OR BY USING FULL BLOWN TOWERS.THEY MAY ALSO BE A BETTER CHOICE DUE TO YOUR ROOM RESTRICTIONS.

Collapse -
Agree with other poster, but I highly urge you to get out &
by NM_Bill / July 18, 2008 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaker Choice

base your selection on what you hear. Speaker brands have their own sound character. I feel sure you will prefer one or another over the remaining to please your ears as you will live with these for a long time.

Your leading candidates are top contenders among experts recommended lists. Orbs might be the choice if you have high priority for smallest size. I'd probably go for the fuller sound of some other. Try as makers may, they cannot recind laws of physics. Bigger volume cabinets can reproduce lower freqnency sounds.

I am an old timer who has two different locations: stereo with the highest accuracy speakers I could afford for music; & a 5.1 Paradigm set for the TV in the living room. The Def Tech would perform similarly to the Paradigm for some surround effect.

Well, as I said, some good candidates (as well as checking out Dynaudio, Paradigm, Usher, Aperion, Energy. Infinity, JBL, PSB, NHT, & B&W 685 as well as my lesser prefered but oftren listed, Klipsch & Polk.

My list is from the free online Playback magazine Feb 2008 issue:

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200802/?u1=texterity

Your possible Denon or Onkyo receiver choices you couldn't go wrong with either.

Again, this old audiophile says get out to hear good candidates in person. No one else's ears are exactly the same as yours. And, I must admit, no showroom will sound quite like your family room at home, but I have faith that what you like best will be the one for you at home too.

Best of luck & enjoy...

Collapse -
Thanks
by onwisc / July 18, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

Thanks for the input. One of the problems that I'm facing is there is nowhere within 100 miles of where I live that I can listen to the Mirage, KEF or Orb. Same with the PSB, which I really wanted to hear. I did listen to the ProCinema and I did like the sound alot.

Collapse -
Under ordinary circumstances your speakers would easily be
by NM_Bill / July 19, 2008 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

the biggest variation of your sound. This is the prime difference. The receivers are meant to be made to provide neutral sound, & for a practical matter, they do.

So, the differences are in the speakers make most all the difference. The matter is important enough for you to make a trip or two on weekends, the 100 miles you need to get to the speakers. I used to live in the boonies relatively speaking, & I sure did. Heck, I even planned the annual vacation with seeing a primo high end audio store in mind.

I said I have 45 years experience in this hobby. I could talke your money go out & buy the best sounding outfit or the money, but it would still be MY ears being pleased, not yours. Speakers seem expensive up front, but they are actually well justified in the long run because they last many years. You will change electronics more frequently because of technological advances.

I urge you to get out to give them a serious listening to because it is so important that it is worthwhile to do so.

Yeah, I would think Def Tech would sound pretty darn good. So would the highly regarded PSB. PSB & Paradigm are probably the couple leading Canadian speakers. Companies there get to use the Canadian national sound laboratory research facilities. That is apparently a big plus when it comes to fine tuning a design. The Canadian speakers have a reputation for performance at fine value.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.