Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Speakeasy is a forum of opinion and the sharing of or

disagreement with that opinion. Opinions are personal points of view, they are neither right nor wrong. This is not a forum of consensus. That said, I much prefer the tenor of the discussions now than formerly when things became much too personal and I was as guilty as any, though in the distinct minority.

I think I've done alright in my current participation on the forum with 2 exceptions. I have expressed my opinions without trying to provoke or to attack. There is nothing personal in what I write except my opinions which while unpalatable to some are probably reflective of a similar number of people as those of more conservative bent. I made two mistakes in referring to locked posts. One was locked after one reply, one was deleted. I then apologized for making the second mistake. That too has been locked though it was not specific as to the post. I think I covered the necessary bases and was respectful to the membership of SE, and while this post mentions that I made mistakes, in neither instance does it go into the details of those mistates. We all make mistakes sometimes, let's just try and move beyond the blame game.

JMO
Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speakeasy is a forum of opinion and the sharing of or
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speakeasy is a forum of opinion and the sharing of or
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blame is a game?

In reply to: Speakeasy is a forum of opinion and the sharing of or

Hey, for me it's a lifestyle. Happy

Some locked threads have had subthreads that got them into trouble; there was still a core part worth discussing. Once or twice I tried 'replying' to that part on another thread. I think I got away with it, but it may not have been a good idea. Locked is [probably better] locked.

Collapse -
Yeah, I was stupid. I forgot how easily things slid downhill

In reply to: Blame is a game?

in the bad old days, and since I'm in the minority here both in opinion and Country and in my complex origins and movements, not to mention that I used to refuse to be bullied by the kabala owing allegiance to the most recent former president, I should have learned to keep my mouth shut.

It is difficult for me because I grew up in a household where political debate was in the water, in the food and in the air. It's what we did, in the car, over the dinner table, around the TV at newstime, over the newspaper. I thought I'd found a similar situation until personalities started to intrude, and then personal abuse. Owing to familial stress and illness (the onset of Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia my response became less and less considered and more and more "Dont Push Me, 'Cause I'm Close to the Edger" (Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, generally recognized as the seminal rap record, even though the Jamaicans were making Dub (rap) 20 years before).

Also, many mistake my long disquisitions for showing off, when they're just the legacy of my abortive academic past. My attitude has always been: why confine yourself to one level of meaning when you can operate on a number of levels simultaneously through allusion and parallel thought lines that come up as one writes.

Thanks Doug, as always,

Rob

Collapse -
Being bullied...

In reply to: Yeah, I was stupid. I forgot how easily things slid downhill

If some people happen to disagree with a view you happened to have about the President, I don't think that that indicates that they are members of a cabal or that they are acting as part of some sort of a plot.

Collapse -
Revisionist history....

In reply to: Being bullied...

I remember all too well the slimy, nasty posts and diatribes from that one. Many were deleted, but my memory is good.

No sympathy.

Collapse -
You're welcome to your opinion, I was attempting to talk

In reply to: Revisionist history....

about the current nature of SE and how much I enjoy it. I made the mistake of mentioning the bad old days in a secondary post to a friend who also knows what it was like at the time Ed. I neither want nor am asking for your sympathy. A little courtesy might be nice of course.

Rob

Please do not make this post about old grievances. We all have them, let them lie, just as I'd prefer to have let this go unremarked.

Collapse -
This refers to my experience at the time of the '04 election

In reply to: Being bullied...

where I took a position not in concert with the majority opinion here. I don't intend to revisit it, but it felt pretty rough at the time.

Rob

Collapse -
So, again you are "apologizing"

In reply to: Speakeasy is a forum of opinion and the sharing of or

for referring to a locked post, but not the garbage that you wrote in it??

Wonderful !!!

Collapse -
Now, THAT's spreading oil on troubled waters!

In reply to: So, again you are "apologizing"

Be like me: I scan just the names in the sub-thread posts. Saves a lot of reading of stuff that will just be verboten later, anyway.
Here's my list of names ... Oh, never mind.

Collapse -
Which is why

In reply to: Now, THAT's spreading oil on troubled waters!

I don't get involved in YOUR posts !!!

(insert a bunch of dumb emoticons here)

Collapse -
At least one lengthy, unlocked subthread has

In reply to: Which is why

both drpruner and critic411 on it.

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast." Happy

Collapse -
(NT) this sub-thread is closed

Collapse -
(NT) Inflammatory, No comment.

Collapse -
(NT) That is more than enough!!! Thread now locked!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.