Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Speak to Text download with trojan

by monkeymick / October 8, 2009 8:48 AM PDT

Hi

I downloaded 'Speak to Text' from CNET a couple of nights ago, and when I attempted to install, my AVG informed me of 2 trojans in the file. I attempted to quarantine, but was told that it had failed. I stopped the installation, and received a message telling me to restart the PC.

This I did, but when I've restarted, most of my .exe program files and program shortcuts now dont link to the program. All Adobe products are missing, and a lot of files that I'd downloaded for work have been wiped and cant be found. AVG also crashed and wont start, along with Windows defender. Neither of these programs can be found in add/remove programs.

I've run various online scanners, Spybot S&D, MS Security essentials in both normal and safe mode, and detected nothing. System restore will only take me back as far as this morning, which is no good at all.....

I'm using a Toshiba Satelitte L300 laptop with Vista home premium installed, which is updated regularly - as was AV and spybot.

Any ideas on whats happened - and more importantly, what I can do to fix it short of a complete restore...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Speak to Text download with trojan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Speak to Text download with trojan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you referring to this program
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2009 7:31 PM PDT

SpeakToText by CoolSoft: http://download.cnet.com/SpeakToText/3000-7239_4-10352619.html ?

If so, I just download the more than 6MB setup file of that program and scan using Virustotal but nothing is found:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/dc769b5e091a927eeadfb6601da3fed7f06f256a4b4d549943653c2d96bba2a0-1255079755
And also let it scan the decompressed installer:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c619a5cde5b6505e9a435d07b48a299fcb1c38327dcd8a6b4fc4e983a0c74b6b-1255080252

However, the installer of this program will offer to download other module and component to use all features. Did you download those additional module?

Try to re-install the programs that become corrupted (e.g. Adobe products). Then try to use program like free for personal use, FreeUndelete that will scan the drive for deleted files and hopefully you can recover them.

I'd like to suggest also to scan using Malwarebytes' Antimalware or A-squared Free to check if there's really nothing in the system.

Collapse -
Sure was.....
by monkeymick / October 8, 2009 8:37 PM PDT

Thats the exact program I downloaded.

I did elect to download the additional features, as they were what I was most interested in.

I've also attempted to recover the deleted files using the recommended software, with no luck whatsoever, although its confirmed that all adobe files, less the shortcuts have been deleted but cannot be recovered.

I'll try the malware scans too, in safe mode and normal, and post to let you know what it picks up!

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Did you try to...
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2009 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure was.....

recover it by storing (temporarily) the recovered files in removable drive? FreeUndelete will not allow you to recover if the store location is same drive.

Good plan by scanning in both mode. Good luck and yes, let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
more info.....
by monkeymick / October 9, 2009 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try to...

Malware scans picked up some malware, but not the ones that AVG had when I was installing the initial application.

Just an interesting observation I've made while looking at the applications that were deleted is that they all start with 'A'....i.e Adobe acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, AVG, Auslogics defrag,Ashampoo....etc

Any ideas what would have caused this? All other apps appear to be ok!

Collapse -
Could be the malware want to disable/delete all
by Donna Buenaventura / October 9, 2009 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: more info.....

others but because AVG halted it and you tried to quarantine then restarted the PC, other were not affected (because of the action by AVG which is good).

Can't you still recover the deleted files if you will restore them in another location (floppy, flash drive, blank disc)?

Glad MBAM has found some malware and I hope the system is now clean so you will deal only in recovering the lost files or damaged programs by reinstalling.

Please scan also using SUPERAntispyware Free to check if there's anything else to remove.

Collapse -
Wow
by monkeymick / October 9, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

Well.....

Running Superantispyware now as reccommended, and after less than 5 mins its picked up on 31 items, with many more to follow.....

So far its detected :

Browser Hijacker.Deskbar
Adware.HBHelper
Adware.Tracking cookie

Obviously, there isn't one single app that'll detect everything then.

I've re-installed Adobe acrobat, with no problems, and also repaired Photoshop. Still a long way to go though....

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Yes, there's no single weapon.
by Donna Buenaventura / October 9, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow

Good work and you're welcome Happy

Collapse -
oh.....
by monkeymick / October 9, 2009 6:35 AM PDT

Thanks again.....

I've now tried to open Mapsource, and thats now gone the same way as the previous files, even though it worked earlier today...

Any more ideas on how I can stop this before too much more ends up disappearing?

Help!

Collapse -
hhmm Malware is maybe not completely remove
by Donna Buenaventura / October 9, 2009 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: oh.....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.