Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Spanish help needed, please

There's a sign I pass by every day that's in Spanish, and it's driving me nuts because I don't know what it says!

Estetica abierto 1-7

I've tried babelfish and it comes up with "Estetica open". Okay, so what's an estetica???

Help, anyone?
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spanish help needed, please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spanish help needed, please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Estetica must be a proper noun or the...

In reply to: Spanish help needed, please

...name of a store maybe, and it's open from 1 to 7 (clock time)

Collapse -
I would guess a hair salon or cosmetologist ...

I don't know much non-medical Spanish, but the word for a beautician is very similar.
Let us know if you find out.

Collapse -
Re: Spanish help needed, please

According to my world-traveling son and DIL just back from Bolivia via Panama and Costa Rica: Estetica = body asthetics or cosmetic surgery. Seems odd for a roadside place to be doing walk-in boob jobs every afternoon, so I'd guess it is more likely a beauty parlor?

dw

Collapse -
It means

to connote not only beauty parlors, but other types of beauty, including architectural beauty as well.

Collapse -
Re: It means

In reply to: It means

Oh, crumb! The posts are messing up again. I had written (and it showed in the preview) that it means "beauty." Wrote something after that too, but it ended up cutting off about five words. Showed fine in preview, but ZAP, it's gone when it actually posted.

Collapse -

Is this in front of a beauty shop perhaps? With hours from 1-7? Literally translated it says "aesthetic opened 1-7".

Babelfish and Google Translate both have a weakness in that gender conjugations as well as character alternatives are not complete in their dictionaries. I don't know if the right character will render here because of the forum software but the phrase you would need to put in to these sites is "est

Collapse -
It could be a beauty shop perhaps,

In reply to: Re: Spanish help needed, please

The sign was sitting on the ground propped up next to a house, so that would make some sense. It was one of those plastic letter signs, so any punctuation that might have been helpful wasn't there.

Thanks, everyone! (now I can obsess on other things!) Wink

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: It could be a beauty shop perhaps,

In reply to: It could be a beauty shop perhaps,

yup, now it is beginning to fit. Outside of the urban/suburban areas, most beauty salons are home-based businesses. But clearly she has a life of her own too, as she doesn't want any customers banging down her door before 1 o'clock.

dw

Collapse -

Step in and ask them. There's no harm in that!

Dan

Collapse -
Dear Dan and Cindi ...

In reply to: Re: Spanish help needed, please

Dan, that's what I was thinking, cos I only got as far as "aesthetics" and "open(ed)".

Cindi, You can't leave us all hanging, you are just gonna have to get yourself in there, have the facial and aromatic oil massage, pedicure and anything else that's going Happy - and report back.

Of course, if it's "only" an art gallery, you'll get to see some nice pictures anyway. Happy

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
It's not that uncommon

In reply to: Dear Dan and Cindi ...

I checked the Spanish/Mexican phone books to be sure, and sure enough, it's in there for both the beauty salons (including body sculpting) and architectural renovation. It's a term used in most of the southern states of the US that border on Mexico and have a lot of Mexican products.

Collapse -
Re: It's not that uncommon

In reply to: It's not that uncommon

"used in most of the southern states"

...and my two [new] centavos worth is: Careful of local idioms; but I think y'all are right with 'beauty salon.' (I'd venture not many architectural salons in private homes.)

Regards, Doug in New Mexico (where a "matanza" - lit. 'killing' - is associated with high school graduations!

Collapse -
Mystery solved!

Maybe the owner reads this forum, because when I went by a day or two ago, there was a little paper sign in English next to the original sign that said "American Beauty Shop".

It'd been in Spanish only for the last 8 years that I know of and after I ask here, suddenly, it's cleared up!

Well, thank you all. (I won't be going there however, since my MIL cuts hair.)

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Thanks Cindi, but I still think that after 8 years....

In reply to: Mystery solved!

you should go and pamper yourself... Even better with a bottle of Champers waiting for you in the cooler.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Thanks Cindi, but I still think that after 8 years....

In reply to: Thanks Cindi, but I still think that after 8 years....

Um, gotta ask. . .don't beauty shops still smell to high heavens of all those chemicals they use for perms and stuff? How do you go in there to relax if you spend most of the time trying not to breathe the air?

Collapse -
Good point, but it's a trade-off isn't it? ....

In reply to: Re: Thanks Cindi, but I still think that after 8 years....

That "film star feeling"? But, heck, we SE folks (both M and F) are all film-star quality to begin with, aren't we?

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.