Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Spam vs. junk mail

Can anyone tell me why junk EMail is more restricted than junk U.S.P.S mail?
I get enough junk paper mail each week to fill a small bushel basket. That then has to go to the recycling center, which takes either a trash removal company or my travel to a recycle center.
Discussion welcome!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spam vs. junk mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spam vs. junk mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Spam vs. junk mail

In reply to: Spam vs. junk mail

USPS is required to deliver mail, period. It does not distinguish between types of mail. I asked my carrier one day to forget the junk. He explained this to me.

Collapse -
Re: Spam vs. junk mail

In reply to: Spam vs. junk mail

well, junk mail IS restricted in the sense that whoever sends has to pay to print the materials and send them out . . . unlike spam where the sender has to do neither.

I have no problem with junk postal mail, it is just one more form of advertising . . . without advertising, this would be Somalia. I may be prejudiced tho, I use "direct mail" advertising in my own business, and it is marvelously effective, I get far more bang for the buck than any other medium.

If I had a choice I would much prefer to eliminate billboards. at least, junk mail I can throw away. Sure, I wish I only got mailings for products I want to buy, but . . . how am I going to know what's out there without my tigerdirect catalog? Happy

what I truly hate about spammers is, more than half the time the links in their e mails don't work. (I'm always hoping to find a way to send them a bogus order or a nasty message) Sometimes i think these misfits send spam just to be annoying, not to actually sell anything.

--fj

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.