Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spam filters in Outlook 2000

by DerfX / August 19, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

Hi guys, I'm not certain this is the right forum for this question but here goes... Because I have nothing newer than Office 2000, the downloads for spam control are somewhat limited and lately, I have been getting inundated with this new kind of spam that is really tough to control.

The ''From'' and ''Subject'' fields are so wildly random that I can't filter on them. The body is an ad for some super hot stock tip that I am suppose to jump on right away. The problem is that the ad is actually just a picture of an ad so there is no real text that I can use to filter on. The spam does end with some random text, usually a paragraph from some book or so but just enough to keep it random and not unique.

The key factor here is that I have identified the ''source'' of the ad picture. If you click on ''Forward'', (with no actual intent on sending it to anyone), you get a copy of the ad picture that you can right-click and select ''Properties'' on. From that, I am able to see that a large number of different spam pieces all have a common source for their ad picture. It is <outbind://(then a single digit #)/cid:(then the ad picture filename)>

Hense my question. Has anybody figured out a way to filter on such criteria? I'm sure we could dampen the spam flow if we could manage filters on this kind of stuff.

As always, thanks for all the help from everybody here.

DerfX

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spam filters in Outlook 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spam filters in Outlook 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I use. Just the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2006 8:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
POPfile looks interesting
by DerfX / August 19, 2006 10:17 AM PDT

Hello Bob, I downloaded POPfile but I haven't installed it yet. I have been reading through all the instruction pages and FAQs. I noticed one item in particular that concerns me. In the "How it Works", I noted that one thing POPfile does is "filter out" all the HTML prior to trying to "classify" the email.

Refering back to my original post, I noted that the particular spam I am trying to control includes a "picture" of an ad which is actually in HTML form. It is the only part of the spam that I am able to use to find a commonality. If this part is excluded prior to classification, I do not know what I could possibly use to look for this particular type of spam.

Perhaps you have already dealt with this type of spam and know of another way to classify it?

Collapse -
It learns.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2006 1:55 PM PDT

I can write that it learned quickly. Today, instead to a deluge I think it's down to 1 a day or less.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm going to try it
by DerfX / August 20, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: It learns.

I understand that it "learns" and maybe it can find a way to focus on this particular spam. I sure hope so.

I don't care about my hotmail account but this is on my personal email which gets very little spam do to my limited use of this email outside of family and close friends. I also use eDexter and the HOSTS file on top of AVG Free with SpyBotS&D along with Lavasoft's Adaware to keep myself relatively clean.

I don't know how I got snagged on this particular spammers address list but I sure would like to block it. It's really the only spam I'm getting on this account so I guess I should consider myself fortunate. However, it really is annoying.

Is there an email address that I could use to forward this spam to so that everybody here could see what I'm talking about?

Collapse -
Very Impressive
by DerfX / August 22, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

I have been using POPfile for only a few days and I am very amazed at what a quick study it was to identify the spam I was after.

I tried to make it easy so I only set up 2 buckets, SPAM and Normal. I can play with it more later but I just wanted to thank you Bob for the great suggestion.

Collapse -
Pass the word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Very Impressive

Psst, pass the word.

Thank you for the feedback. I admit at first this software seems daunting but for me it was the solution I needed.

The price is great too.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?