Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

spam emails on Yahoo

by llol5565 / May 13, 2010 6:53 PM PDT

Suddenly I'm receiving tons of spam emails on my Yahoo. I haven't changed any settings. I even double checked to be sure that my settings were correct; they are. Has anyone else been having this problem? What can I do to make it stop?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spam emails on Yahoo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spam emails on Yahoo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No easy way to make it stop unfortunately.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: spam emails on Yahoo

But I found early on the following;

1] Never open spam emails. Even displaying the contents in the Preview Pane can send a message back to the spammer that your email address is active.

2] If you do inadvertently open a spam email, never respond to it, not even to unsubscribe. They like unsubscribe replies. That tells them your email address is active.

3] If your account allows it, set up "Rules" to send all incoming emails that you are not expecting to the delete or trash folder. I don't use Yahoo mail, so I don't know if it has such Rules options. But if so the easiest way is to set up rules that allow all emails from people you know, eg in your address book or contacts list, and trash the rest.

Why are you getting these? Spam will always find you eventually. Even with random named email addresses, the spammers send millions of emails daily to computer generated email addresses. They don't care if the majority fail and are returned, all they are interested in are the ones who respond.

Mark

Collapse -
Spam
by Olivia333-333 / May 14, 2010 7:15 AM PDT

I have got lots of spam. Thanks for your information.

Collapse -
I was hoping
by llol5565 / May 14, 2010 3:45 PM PDT

for a solution! Thank you for the reply though. Can't understand how I went so long without getting them and now I'm being bombarded. Stupid spammers!

Collapse -
increase in spam
by BallantyneGuy / May 25, 2010 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: I was hoping

One of the spam drivers I've noticed is when you join LinkedIn groups your email address tend to get distributed. I don't know if the Group owners are selling access to the list or what, but it seems that the more groups I join the more spam I get.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: increase in spam

I didn't get more spam when I joined linkedin. But I don't have many sites I do join and I resist linking logins.
Bob

Collapse -
Facebook
by llol5565 / May 26, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

I've been wondering if that site is the culprit behind all of my spam. I've received emails supposedly from friends that are on there but not my yahoo. Last one I got just had a link on it. I didn't open the link but emailed my friend to see if she had sent it.....of course she hadn't. I've even gone into the FB settings and unchecked everything I could, I don't accept too many applications either, but who knows.
Thanks for the help everyone

Collapse -
Facebook is under pressure
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 26, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Facebook
Collapse -
One more to uncheck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 5:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just for your information.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?