Computer Help forum

General discussion

Spam desktop shortcuts

by imacannibal / July 21, 2006 7:56 AM PDT

Just recently I have been getting spam desktop shortcuts that just appear out of nowhere. I do run both Spyware Nuker and Spybot. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. I have not clicked on the shortcut just right clicked and deleted it but I know something is left on my system. Nothing shows up in the Add/Remove programs that I can delete either. I am also running Panda Anti-Virus and nothing comes up there either when I do a scan.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spam desktop shortcuts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spam desktop shortcuts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple questions...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Spam desktop shortcuts

A scan with the free program Ewido should tell you what, if anything, is on your computer. However, I have a couple questions that should help tell us what those shortcuts those were:

* Why do you refer to them as 'spam desktop shortcuts?'
* Do you remember the names of the shortcuts or what the icons looked like?
* Do you happen to know if they were shortcuts to something on your system or if they were to websites?
* Did your security software detect/remove anything recently?
* Have you installed any previously-unknown software recently?

Aside from that, let me note that I wouldn't rely on Spyware Nuker for security. Through most of last year it was blacklisted as a rogue spyware program, and though version 2.0 has received a clean bill of health I still wouldn't touch it. One thing that tells me they haven't cleaned up their act: On their website they are supposedly paraphrasing a review from Cnet's own download when no review exists on download.com!

John

Collapse -
More information
by imacannibal / July 21, 2006 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple questions...

I'm calling them spam because they say things like ''free gas''. They look just like regular desktop icons with the little arrow in the corner for a shortcut. I have not clicked on the shortcuts for fear of getting a virus. I've found nothing unusual in any spyware or virus scans. The only new thing I recently installed was an Accuweather program for live weather which I already uninstalled. Something is definitely wrong though as I now get a lot of visual memory errors too. I don't know if it's related but I think it is as everything with my computer was fine until recently.

I'm at work now so I'll try Ewido when I get home.

Collapse -
SPYWARE !!!
by pfbfire / July 22, 2006 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: More information

i also installed that Accuweather program a while back. Try using Ad-aware SE personal edition (free)and if all else failsdo what i did backup all your data onto cd ,dvd , flash drive , external HD then just re-format,gets you out of pretty much any mess. HOWEVER I MUST WARN YOU THAT IF YOU BACKUP ANY SPYWARE FILE YOUR SCREWED AGAIN.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?